Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 Rubicon coolant vanishing...why?

Old 06-08-2016, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerberos
I'll bet it's the oil cooler under the intake...

Lube techs over torque the filter cap and it breaks the cheesy oring seals or cracks the housing.

Hard to find because there's plenty of crevices for the coolant to pool into. These crevices are then heated by the engine and will cook off most of the coolant, therefore making it very difficult to locate.

Usually the only trace left is if some spills out the back. Damn near impossible to see due to the 3.6 being stuffed up right next to the firewall.

Have them inspect by looking at the trans bellhousing from underneath...

Or just demand the oil cooler be replaced for customer satisfaction.
So you're saying somehow coolant is leaking out of the oil cooler assembly? I'm not noticing any oil leaks.

I'm not seeing coolant where you said to look. But as I noted earlier, there is coolant residue in various places on the right side of the vehicle, down low. You basically can only see it if you're lying on the ground under the vehicle, looking up. It is below the general area of the water pump, which is not to say it couldn't be coming out of the radiator or some other part of the cooling system.

Now that I found that for them, hopefully when they have it on a rack they can see better and track down the source. I dropped it off today and while there showed the areas of residue to the service advisor. We'll see what happens.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:50 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 702Rubi
So you're saying somehow coolant is leaking out of the oil cooler assembly? I'm not noticing any oil leaks.

Originally Posted by DJ1
It is the oil cooler/coolant housing and both the engine oil and the engine coolant run through this unit. So you may leak oil, coolant, or both.

I must be speaking Chinese again lol

At least you had the brains to bring your vehicle in right away. I think the other guy is still wondering why his temps are at 235 while his fan kicks into hyper-drive.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:54 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
good info video thanks for the share . I then had to look and see if my spring valve was still there (it is )

no problem. Glad someone on this thread actually watched it lol
Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
I must be speaking Chinese again lol

At least you had the brains to bring your vehicle in right away. I think the other guy is still wondering why his temps are at 235 while his fan kicks into hyper-drive.
Sorry if I seem dense but I don't do a lot of auto repair work. That wasn't my career, plus I don't keep vehicles very long. No need for me to tear into vehicles that are under warranty. So I haven't paid any attention to this oil cooler. I only knew where the filter is, since I've been changing the oil.

BTW I first noticed last summer that the coolant reservoir level was low. At that time the vehicle had only about 7K-8K miles on the clock. It never runs hot. It's never leaked on my garage floor. I only knew something was wrong because I'm OCD about fluid levels.

I watched the video. My 2015 hasn't had the wrong oil filter jammed in it (but I've got another reason to do my own oil changes!). Coolant leaks weren't discussed, unless I got distracted during that part. All the stuff about that little post, the spring, etc. was interesting but doesn't apply to me.

At any rate, I gather this oil cooler has been a problem area. If the dealer still seems lost I will ask if they have given it a good look. HOPEFULLY the coolant residue trail will finally lead them to whatever the problem is.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:42 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Time will tell if your dealer still can't figure it out.

If your rad-fan hasn't been kicking on more than usual (like the other guy on a similar thread) even while driving 70mph on the flat, open highway, and can still pass pressure leak tests, then the leak you have is still very small. The dealer may figure it out or they might not.

If you're lucky, maybe the leak will fully expose itself when you're out on the trail. Worse case, it is the oil/coolant cooler housing that's leaking which isn't a typical trail repair where you can still limp home if it fully implodes on you and will only set you back a grand or 2 for a tow to the nearest dealer.

I'll be picking up a spare oil/coolant cooler housing even though I still have 26k left to go on the powertrain warranty and 26k left on the extended warranty. If this part fully fails and you're out in the middle of BFE, you're f*cked.

Last edited by DJ1; 06-09-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default how much do they get for a replacement cooler

if you have priced one . ? I looked briefly on line but the part didnt show up
[pob googled it wrong. btw is this part something youl tackle yourself
i know its tucked under stuff and im wondering if it throws a code if you tried to install it on your own .
Old 06-10-2016, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2012 had a pretty obvious leak (puked out a lot) but it only happened when temperatures rose above a certain point. I live in a rather cool climate so the problem didn't repeat over winter and the first dealer I took it to didn't find anything wrong. In the spring it spewed out on the first warm day I drove it. I took it to a different dealership and they found my thermostat was cracked and repaired it under warranty.

(On a side note one of their techs did not tighten the rad cap after the repair and I was spitting coolant by the time I got home.)

I keep a jug of the orange coolant laying around as back-up.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:19 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
if you have priced one . ? I looked briefly on line but the part didnt show up
[pob googled it wrong. btw is this part something youl tackle yourself
i know its tucked under stuff and im wondering if it throws a code if you tried to install it on your own .

Part link here ---> OIL FILTER HSNG | Genuine Mopar | 5184294AE
$164

1 pc #5184294AE - housing unit
6 pc #5184562AC - gasket, intake plenum
6 pc #5184331AC - gasket, intake manifold

You could install it yourself from what I've gathered from vids online. Just takes time to get to since it sits right underneath the plastic manifold in the "valley" between both heads.

No codes were thrown even as mine was failing so I don't see why it would throw a code installing one. Between the leaks on the driveway, the hyper-drive on the radiator fan, heater blowing cold air intermittently, and my temp readouts on my aeroforce guage which is connected to the OBD port 24/7 reading higher than normal, I knew something was wrong.

I'm just glad I caught the leak 4 days before going out on a wheeling trip. That would have been a real shit show if it had failed on the trail.

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
My 2012 had a pretty obvious leak (puked out a lot) but it only happened when temperatures rose above a certain point. I live in a rather cool climate so the problem didn't repeat over winter and the first dealer I took it to didn't find anything wrong. In the spring it spewed out on the first warm day I drove it. I took it to a different dealership and they found my thermostat was cracked and repaired it under warranty.

(On a side note one of their techs did not tighten the rad cap after the repair and I was spitting coolant by the time I got home.)

I keep a jug of the orange coolant laying around as back-up.

I've currently have a race spec'd thermostat (opens up at lower temp) in my spare parts bin just in case since it seems these have been having intermittent problems as well. At least the thermostat and the water pump are pretty easy to get to and swap out if needed. Opens up at 180F versus 203F on the stock/oem unit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will also get a pair of silicon hoses just in case. Also keep a jug of HOAT as back-up as well. Could use distilled water from the local grocery mart if able to limp home.

Last edited by DJ1; 06-10-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the link, you never know good to keep it on file
Old 06-12-2016, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by batt75batt75
I was having the same exact issue as you. Lose of coolant in tank, sweet smell in the front grill area, no visible leaks. Took about 6 months of back and forth to the dealer. New radiator cap didn't help, new hoses didn't help, leak die couldn't find it. Dealer finally dropped in a new radiator, and it's fixed. Just drove to Florida and back and put 2600 miles on it and not a single bit of antifreeze lose in the tank.
This is exactly what happened to mine, as well as several others in our Jeep club. All were 3.6's that needed new radiators.

Quick Reply: 2015 Rubicon coolant vanishing...why?