Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2016 unlimited ABS problems. Engine dying

Old 09-10-2016, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 unlimited ABS problems. Engine dying

Hello all. I'm looking for some help. I have had my 2016 JK Unlimited since June 2016. Here are the problems I have had. Coming to a stop light the engine will shut off and would'nt start. It sat for about half hour then started with no problems. It did this three times. Second problem. ABS, Red brake light. Traction control light and sometimes check engine light would all come on. Third problem speedometer will stop working while warning lights are on. About a month ago the dealer replaced a ABS module. I had no issue until Sunday September 4th. I was going up a hill in 4 low when all the warning lights came on. I tried to make it up but the engine died, wouldn't restart. I rolled backwards and almost rolled it. The problem is sporadic and can't be duplicated. My Jeep has been at the dealer since Tuesday.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First thing I would check is that your battery connections are tight. If you can rotate a connection by hand, it is not tight.

If that isn't it, retrieve the codes.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

The Battery cables are tight. According to the service rep. There were no codes relating to my problems. I find that hard to believe.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

If not battery connections or battery, you might have them look at your TIPM.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluejeep2016
According to the service rep. There were no codes relating to my problems. I find that hard to believe.
I agree. If you have all that going on and there are no codes, that's a major problem in itself.

Originally Posted by jedg
If not battery connections or battery, you might have them look at your TIPM.
A bad TIPM out of the box is certainly possible. Usually they take a little time to fail. Have the dealer pull the TIPM and make sure the connectors are all seated properly.

I have a feeling in the long run this is going to be a lemon law case. Too many problems too soon.

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-11-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:45 AM
JK Freak

Default Lemon Law

I agree with 14Sport. Document everything that goes on with you and the dealer. You may also want to jump the gun so to speak and get Customer Service involved. Sometimes, that in itself will light a firecracker under the dealers ass to get things handled. Aside from the fact that the Wrangler you purchased is not performing properly, don't forget your downtime. That to has value.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you everyone who replied. I have been keeping track of what's going on and have been in touch with customer service.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

This could be considered a safety issue. I would press your dealer. They should at least be giving you a loaner
Old 09-12-2016, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

I called the dealer today at 4pm. They didn't have a answer on the issues. My Jeep hasn't moved since they parked it outside the dealership Wednesday night. I was told the shop foreman was personally going to look into it Monday morning ( today 9-12-16). He didn't. The advisor left me a voicemail at 4:40 pm asking me if I could come in and drive it with the shop foreman. The advisor said " We all drive alittle different, maybe you could duplicate the problem. Sounds like they are trying to say it's my fault. I should charge them their own shop rates.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

The problem happens sporadically in all different driving conditions.

Quick Reply: 2016 unlimited ABS problems. Engine dying