Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.6 Cam Follower Problem

Old 02-04-2019, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3.6 Cam Follower Problem

My 2012 JKU is in the shop have the cam followers replaced. It has 125,000 mi. on it, mostly city driving. It always had valve clatter on startup but it got to the point where the tapping didn't go away.

I had the left side head replaced at 71,000 mi. on the recall. That seemed to have gone alright.

I've changed oil at 6,000 mi. religiously and used Mobil 1 5-30 every time. It's very frustrating. I was hoping to get a lot more miles before having engine problems.

Anyone else seen this?
The following users liked this post:
3rd Will (01-10-2023)
Old 02-05-2019, 08:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

This is the first instance I recall seeing in this forum of cam follower problem. In fact, so far the 3.6 engine seems to be holding up very well, other than the left side head issue you mentioned. Don't brag to the dealer about using Mobil 1 oil because Mobil 1 does not carry the certification for the Chrysler spec. That is why I do not use it. I have the lifetime max care warranty and don't want to give the dealer any wiggle room to deny a claim.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3.6 Cam Follower Problem

Thanks for the reply Rob_Engineer. They are not doing it under warranty anyway. About $1,300 estimated.

I did find this on moparmagazine.com:

A STAR Case bulletin, S1309000016, was released just over two years ago (March 18, 2014) in regards to the rocker arms used in the Pentastar® engine. The symptom/vehicle issue is ticking/tapping noise from the upper engine area. In addition, this failure can also set a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for an engine misfire.

Remove the components to gain access to the engine valve train. Inspect each rocker arm roller bearing for missing or worn needle bearings. Also, inspect for a collapsed valve lifter. Replace, as required. This condition is typically found on vehicles with mileage accumulation of 15,000 miles or more.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mobile 1 isn't that good anymore, i hear they cut corners now...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 09-05-2020, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I have a 2017 Durango with them 3.6 litre engine. At 45,000 kms I had the left side cam and some rockers replaced because the #4 cylinder had camshaft damage. Now at 78,000 kms the same issue happened ( engine shutter when hard acceleration) .
The dealership just finished replacing 2 cams with rockers because of damage #2 & #6 cylinders. The dealership said they had only seen this one before and it has happened to me twice.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

Sorry for the hijack but it is somewhat related to your problem or prevention of future ones. When we used to put oil close to molasses in engines there never was an issue. I say run the thermostat lower temp, reprogram the ECU for that lower temp and put some oil in it that has a film that protects. That oil is hot at the top of the engine. My Chev conversion is now running 97*C instead of 107* and the 0W-20 is going up to 5W40 synthetic and it pulls in 1-4 gear almost instantly up to 5600rpm regularly. Runs perfect and fuel mileage is better than V6 that came out with twice the giddyup.

Quick Reply: 3.6 Cam Follower Problem