Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

3.6 overheating

Old 07-27-2017, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.6 overheating

My 13 JK is overheating. The electric fan stays on constantly. Seems to mostly overheat at speeds 20-55. Sitting at idle, I have never it overheat. Checked the coolant at the fill and it appears to be full. Overflow is nearly empty. What do you all think? Do these things have thermostats? Could it be the pump?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Knee jerk reaction tells me you thermostat is stuck open. The coolant doesn't get enough time in the radiator to cool down so the whole system heats up eventually and the fan stays on trying to cool the fluid.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by turmoil
Knee jerk reaction tells me you thermostat is stuck open. The coolant doesn't get enough time in the radiator to cool down so the whole system heats up eventually and the fan stays on trying to cool the fluid.
Stuck open = running too hot? Not what I've seen over the years.
If the problem is the thermostat, it would be it's stuck toward the closed position, causing the water to not carry enough heat out of the engine.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Any ideas on the thermostat location? Anybody replace one?
Old 07-28-2017, 06:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Yes they do have thermostats. Ic could be the pump--they are just plastic impellers anymore. To check the thermostat, wait for the engine to be completely cold. Start it and feel the coolant hose on top. It should be cold until the temperature gets to some value where the thermostat triggers (sorry, I have a 3.8 and am not familiar with the 3.6 value--bet Ronjenx can provide that, though).

Another thing: Have you done anything to the grill openings? If so, what? Many of the aftermarket products reduce airflow to the radiator.

You also mention that "overflow is nearly empty". Fill the coolant reservoir to the minimum line when it's hot with the proper coolant (OAT certified for Chrysler vehicles). If it drops too low when hot, then when cool it ends up sucking air into the coolant system. Get a bubble in the right spot and that can cause weird problems (overheating, heater not working right, etc), while your radiator looks full at the cap.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Yes they do have thermostats. Ic could be the pump--they are just plastic impellers anymore. To check the thermostat, wait for the engine to be completely cold. Start it and feel the coolant hose on top. It should be cold until the temperature gets to some value where the thermostat triggers (sorry, I have a 3.8 and am not familiar with the 3.6 value--bet Ronjenx can provide that, though).

Another thing: Have you done anything to the grill openings? If so, what? Many of the aftermarket products reduce airflow to the radiator.

You also mention that "overflow is nearly empty". Fill the coolant reservoir to the minimum line when it's hot with the proper coolant (OAT certified for Chrysler vehicles). If it drops too low when hot, then when cool it ends up sucking air into the coolant system. Get a bubble in the right spot and that can cause weird problems (overheating, heater not working right, etc), while your radiator looks full at the cap.

No obstructions in the grill.

Ok maybe I am just low on coolant. But how could I lose coolant though without a leak? Also, I do not see a level indicator in the overflow reservoir. Think I may just go buy a gallon of OAT and a thermostat but see if the fill helps before going into the thermostat.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by landis76
No obstructions in the grill.

Ok maybe I am just low on coolant. But how could I lose coolant though without a leak? Also, I do not see a level indicator in the overflow reservoir. Think I may just go buy a gallon of OAT and a thermostat but see if the fill helps before going into the thermostat.
Thermostat opens at 195F.

I wouldn't spend the money on the thermostat until you narrow it down to that. Though it's not an expensive part, it may not be needed and I've had vehicles that never needed a thermostat replacement and some that have. I'd put that money towards a temperature gun which could be useful in troubleshooting this and many other issues. How long does it take from start up to over heat? Try to turn the heater on as it comes to temp...Does it blow hot? Does it noticeably (not sure if you have another source of reading or just the gauge on the dash) reduce the temperature?

-Brad
Old 07-28-2017, 08:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Do research on coolant. Make 100% sure you get the right one for your Jeep. 2013 was a transition year. Mixing two types of coolant has the potential to cause a disaster (hoat vs oat).
Old 07-28-2017, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

What about the fill level for the radiator overflow? I don't see a fill line.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Do research on coolant. Make 100% sure you get the right one for your Jeep. 2013 was a transition year. Mixing two types of coolant has the potential to cause a disaster (hoat vs oat).
I miss the good olde days when antifreeze was antifreeze!!! Pick your fav brand and you were good to go!
The following users liked this post:
Sixty4x4 (10-11-2023)

Quick Reply: 3.6 overheating