JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   3.8 battery harness cuts (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/3-8-battery-harness-cuts-350405/)

Almost Heaven 05-22-2019 04:58 PM

3.8 battery harness cuts

Hi my jeep was vandalized and they cut my battery harness all over. I'll attach a pic. The negative side was easy enough to fix but the positive side was cut in so many places the cables won't reach the terminal and I had to get rid of the fusible link to the alternator when cobbling it together.
I' trying to figure out my best course of action to fix this. I've found the entire harness for sale for about $150 brand new. Would like anyones opinion
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/TwusFGu"><a href="//imgur.com/TwusFGu"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/f6nG0R6"><a href="//imgur.com/f6nG0R6"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Almost Heaven 05-22-2019 04:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Almost Heaven;4342611]Hi my jeep was vandalized and they cut my battery harness all over. I'll attach a pic. The negative side was easy enough to fix but the positive side was cut in so many places the cables won't reach the terminal and I had to get rid of the fusible link to the alternator when cobbling it together.
I' trying to figure out my best course of action to fix this. I've found the entire harness for sale for about $150 brand new. Would like anyones opinion
Attachment 678017

Attachment 678018

karls10jk 05-22-2019 05:50 PM

Any idea behind the vandalization? I'd suggest whatever you buy comes with parking in a better neighborhood or stop messing around with the wrong chick.

Factory harness would be my first choice but I purchased a used headlight harness and merged it with my current harness in order to diagnose a much cheaper issue. You may be able to buy used and do proper gauge splices in order to fix what is broken without replacing that whole sub section. Figure out why it was vandalized before you fix it though otherwise you'll be right back here in 30 days.

Ghost JK 05-23-2019 02:11 AM

If you can get the factory harness it will probably be the best repair. First thing I would get is a hood lock though.

SoK66 05-23-2019 05:24 PM

I'd definitely go for the new factory harness vs a patch job. You got some weird vandals!

nthinuf 05-25-2019 12:35 PM

Do you have squirrels running around your neighborhood? The red wires look an awful lot like the damage that was done to mine when a mama squirrel decided to build a nest behind the battery. The blue looks like a cleaner cut though, which is odd.

If you find that it is rodents, take care of them before you replace the wires. They chewed into the battery terminals and the edges of the battery itself on mine before I finally got them to stop..

Rednroll 05-25-2019 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by nthinuf (Post 4342731)
Do you have squirrels running around your neighborhood? The red wires look an awful lot like the damage that was done to mine when a mama squirrel decided to build a nest behind the battery. The blue looks like a cleaner cut though, which is odd.

If you find that it is rodents, take care of them before you replace the wires. They chewed into the battery terminals and the edges of the battery itself on mine before I finally got them to stop..

I'ld say the vandal used a smaller pair of nippers to cut the wires. Thus, blue wire smaller diameter equals a cleaner cut. Larger diameter wire...a little more work cutting through needed to be done.

Rednroll 05-25-2019 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by SoK66 (Post 4342670)
I'd definitely go for the new factory harness vs a patch job. You got some weird vandals!

Probably the best plan but likely easier said than done. I believer one of the red wires runs directly to the alternator and the other to the fuse box. Unsure about those ground wires. I believe one ground runs to the passenger side fender area, unsure of the other.

Personally, if I was having to do this. I would look into thicker replacement wires. The JK can definitely benefit from some thicker wires when it comes to known power and grounding starter related problems. Instead of paying $150 for the same adequate wires, you could likely for a lower cost upgrade the diameter of those wires in the process and benefit with an upgrade.

EHarris 05-28-2019 01:10 PM

https://www.quadratec.com/parts/jeep...y-wiring-parts

Rednroll 05-28-2019 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by EHarris (Post 4342818)

Nice find. $280! Yowza....Yep, I'ld be upgrading that ish with something else.

I used this stuff to wire my winch. I bet it would work really well for battery cable and at 2AWG would be a huge upgrade over that factory 8AWG stuff but I'm sure there's other options.
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ft-i...awg-63747.html