Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.8 Engine hydro locked

Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8 Engine hydro locked

Looking for write ups on this. Was going in about foot of water when the right front tire dropped. Water went over the hood and engine stopped. Pulled the plugs and it just gets ugly. So looking for write ups on if just replace or take the time and pull the heads. Is it worth the time to see if it is salvageable. Shop gave me a quote 5.5k with reman engine with 3 year warranty. What sucks only had 66k on the engine and did not burn a drop of oil.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

5.5k is quite a bit to drop. If it were me I'd start taking it all apart as much as you can. Drain all the oil as well. It may be salvageable but there is no way to know without looking inside the engine. Also make sure no water got into the transmission. If that's the case your really dead in the water so to speak. Sorry couldn't resist the joke
Old 06-06-2019, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by BDT.jeep
Looking for write ups on this. Was going in about foot of water when the right front tire dropped. Water went over the hood and engine stopped. Pulled the plugs and it just gets ugly. So looking for write ups on if just replace or take the time and pull the heads. Is it worth the time to see if it is salvageable. Shop gave me a quote 5.5k with reman engine with 3 year warranty. What sucks only had 66k on the engine and did not burn a drop of oil.
There's a Youtube vid that someone started on this subject but the follow up steps look uncompleted.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by BDT.jeep
I have a 2008 3.8 / 6 speed manual for sale complete from fan to gearbox ouput including accessories. This engine uses zero oil between oil changes and starts without block heater down to minus 30 deg C. It does not rattle clunk or tick. Other than being typical gutless it is in excellent shape and comes with all accessories. I am installing a Gen V 5.3 Chev and 8 spd auto so don't need it. I am in Calgary AB. I want $1200CDN for everything. Multiply by 0.75 to get US$$. $900US. It has 175000kms on it which is about 108000 miles.
Barry - PM me if you want
Old 06-06-2019, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Made me laugh after a long day at work.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

That is from when they open the hood till closed.

Quick Reply: 3.8 Engine hydro locked