Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

35" tires

Old 04-24-2017, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" tires

Hi guys will a 35" tire fit on my stock jk spare tire rack.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by squacap
Hi guys will a 35" tire fit on my stock jk spare tire rack.
yea but you will need more support for the tailgate. the stock hinges / tailgate are not made to hold that much weight and you will have to mod the rubber bumpers.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There's more to it than just a tire height fitting on a carrier. Your wheel width also plays into things. More importantly (as mentioned above) is that the gate is not designed for that kind of weight. Yes, you can make it work but it's not designed for it. There are posts of failing hinges, tailgates, and even the cast carrier.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 35 WOULD NOT fit on my stock carrier. It was too wide and would not seat and it was too tall and made contact with my bumper. You will need a relocation bracket to raise and extend it.

As mentioned, the spot welds on your tailgate will eventually start to fail with extended use of your stock hinges carrying a heavy 35 inch tire. There are multiple solutions out there, as I went with a Teraflex HD hinge and tire carrier.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Mine was too tall to fit wth the stock bumper, had to go bumperless. After 14 months two spot welds broke. Also didn't realize, that it wore out my stock hinges as well, and now even without tire, the gate sagged down, and dragged on the brand new Shrockworks bumper I installed, had to loosen the hinge bolts, and use a floor jack and blocks to lift on the gate and then retighten the hinge bolts to adjust the gate up again to get it off the bumper.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are little spacer kits that are made that will allow you to squeeze a larger spare on there.

But, like everyone else has said, while it's possible that factory rear gate is not designed to take the weight. Hell, it's barely adequate to take the weight of a Rubicon spare....

Spare tire carriers are one of our most common requests. Right now we are loving the Teraflex carriers. We generally tell customers to splurge on the hinged carriers, although the bolt on ones seem to handle a 35 (as per their website as well) decently.

I would save a little scratch and at least spring for something along the lines of their Alpha carrier, and if you can save a little more I'd go with the HD hinged carrier, which is what we're installing for our customers right now.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would i be better off with 33 then.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by squacap
would i be better off with 33 then.
Do you want 35" tires? If that's what you really want to get for your Jeep, don't buy the size that fits the tire carrier. You will be disappointed if that's what you base your decision on.

You have a lot of choices in carriers that will hold larger tires than you are looking for. Teraflex is not the only brand that has a body mounted carrier. You have quite a few to choose from.

Quick Reply: 35" tires