Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

5 Year Warranty Inspection Yields New Transmission (Rebuild)

Old 08-22-2017, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 5 Year Warranty Inspection Yields New Transmission (Rebuild)

Well, my 08 JKUR has been running well, and it was time for my 2nd 5 year warranty inspection. I asked them to check out a rattle in the transmission that occurs on acceleration right off idle, especially if on an incline. It only rattles for a second or two, and isn't a big deal to me. I also told them that about once every 3 to 4 weeks, it pops out of 3rd gear. It isn't like the old popping out of 1st gear problem, which was much more frequent and violent. (It would really hurt my hand when it popped out when my hand was on it.) When popping out of 3rd, it comes out gently and doesn't make a loud bang, either.

They called me this afternoon and gave me good news and bad news. The bad news: The clutch is the source of the rattle. It still feels decent, but I do have 115k miles on it, so it probably wouldn't have a huge amount of life left in it. Anyway, if that were the only issue, I'd keep running it until it fails.

The good news: The 3rd gear pop can be fixed. However, it makes more sense to install a rebuilt, Jeep approved, rebuilt unit, as covered by warranty, with no deductible. That lifetime warranty is really nice! Again, if I didn't have the warranty, I'd probably not swap it out yet, as the problem isn't that frequent. However, six months ago, it didn't do this, so maybe it would get progressively worse.

I'm having them go ahead and replace the clutch, since they'll have the transmission out anyway. The bad news? $1,200 bucks! Ouch! I contacted my favorite local independent shop, to see how much they were gouging me. He quoted me a price close to $1k, so I'm just going to go ahead and have the dealer do it, as they do good work and are very familiar with this job. My indy shop has not done a JK clutch yet, although I know they could do it. He's pretty good.

Anyway, my Jeep dealer is moving quickly, which is nice. They said they'd have it done in two days. They also offered me a loaner vehicle, even though that's not required by this warranty, and seems unprecidented for work on a 10 year old vehicle with 115k miles. I didn't take them up on it because I just don't need it. Nice touch, though. They'll be selling me my new JLUR in the not too distant future. (I'm keeping the JKUR, in case you were wondering. This warranty is GREAT!)

Oh, as far as the inspection...everything else is gtg.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's nice to hear they're taking care of you under that warranty but they're taking you out back on the clutch. With the entire transmission out, the clutch will look them dead in the eye. I'm a little surprised they're not doing just parts since the same labor will be required to do the transmission.

Are they also giving you a new flywheel and pilot bearing? It's probably a good time to have those replaced if they're already going to be in there.

I think you'd be surprised how much life is still left in your clutch. Mine looked pretty decent at 130k but if you're in there then you replace it. The issue at 130k for me was that stupid throwout bearing. Keep on top of that bearing and your warranty will be worth its weight in gold. It's a $30 part but getting to it sucks to do.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be getting my second five year in about a month
Old 08-22-2017, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
It's nice to hear they're taking care of you under that warranty but they're taking you out back on the clutch. With the entire transmission out, the clutch will look them dead in the eye. I'm a little surprised they're not doing just parts since the same labor will be required to do the transmission.

Are they also giving you a new flywheel and pilot bearing? It's probably a good time to have those replaced if they're already going to be in there.

I think you'd be surprised how much life is still left in your clutch. Mine looked pretty decent at 130k but if you're in there then you replace it. The issue at 130k for me was that stupid throwout bearing. Keep on top of that bearing and your warranty will be worth its weight in gold. It's a $30 part but getting to it sucks to do.
Goodness, that price had better include the flywheel and pilot bearing. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be asking about that tomorrow. I may also get a clutch quote from another dealer. They claimed they were taking into account the labor overlap, but it doesn't sound like it.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

My 10 year inspection should be rolling around this time next year. I have a 2009. I'm curious to see if I even get a letter sent out to me. I missed my 5 year inspection, so they already have their out to cancel my lifetime power train warranty. I'm not too concerned because since I put the 35s on, I figured that gives them an out to not honor the lifetime power train warranty anyways. I'm pretty certain rolling with 35s and putting additional stress on the power train is a pretty good excuse to not honor any related power train failures.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
My 10 year inspection should be rolling around this time next year. I have a 2009. I'm curious to see if I even get a letter sent out to me. I missed my 5 year inspection, so they already have their out to cancel my lifetime power train warranty. I'm not too concerned because since I put the 35s on, I figured that gives them an out to not honor the lifetime power train warranty anyways. I'm pretty certain rolling with 35s and putting additional stress on the power train is a pretty good excuse to not honor any related power train failures.
How far out are you from the inspection? You might call them and see if they will still do it. My 30 day window wasn't supposed to start until September, but they told me it was fine to do it now. They also had no issue with my 2" lift and 33's. Some dealers differ, though, as some have been fine with lifts and 35" tires and some have not. Technically, to deny warranty, they have to show that the modification contributed to the problem.

It is worth a shot to ask. The worst they can do is say no.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:10 AM
JK Super Freak

I've called two other local dealers and one said the clutch with flywheel and pilot bearing would be close to 1500 bucks. I'm waiting to hear back from the other.

Sounds like about what the auto tranny option would have cost, so I guess it evens out in the end.

I also ordered a spare key from the dealership, to replace a lost one. $240 bucks. I'm walking bow-legged after that one.

I'm also reading up and finding that if the flywheel meets spec, it should not be replaced. What are the odds that it might be in spec? On another forum, a Jeep tech stated that he'd never had to replace a flywheel. Others there differed, but he was insistent that if it wasn't out of spec and not warped, it is fine to keep it. Thoughts?

Last edited by dmwil; 08-23-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I'm looking for a picture I took to show you but can't find it. It blows me away that they'd ask that price for the clutch with the trans out. At that price though, I'd ask if they're replacing the slave cylinder as well. It's cheap ($25??) and bolts to the outside of the transmission case. My dealer quoted 4 hours of labor to replace it since "they have to drop the entire transmission". I brought the jeep home, unbolted the 2 nuts and one clip and then bolted the new one up- 30 minutes. There was extra time involved in bleeding it but not 4 hours.

I guess realistically though, you've got the right outlook on it. You'll have a rebuilt trans, new clutch and parts for $1500. That's not a terrible deal for the peace of mind with a freshened transmission.

They key thing....if you have 2 working keys then you can cut and program your own, up to 6 or 8, I don't recall off the top of my head. I have 3 so I'm (hopefully) never in the pickle of being at their will for keys.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, so does anyone know what comes with the factory clutch replacement kit? Also, with a new (rebuilt) transmission, would it come with a new flywheel, if the clutch kit does not?

Honestly, I don't know much about these things.

Here's one more basic question. What is the difference between a pilot bearing and a throwout bearing, and what determines the need for replacement?

Thanks, guys, just learning as much as I can. I want them to replace everything that should be replaced when they get the new tranny and clutch together. I'd like it to go at least another 115,000 miles before having to revisit it.

I'm very easy on clutches, btw. This one was working fine, other than the slight rattle right of idle. I'm pretty sure it had lots of life left in it.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

On your flywheel- I just sanded mine down and went with it. It "should" have been replaced since everything else in there was new but I was too cheap to buy the Mopar flywheel.

Being 'in spec' isn't as big of an issue as much as the potential for hot spots. If you've got little spots like that then you could experience chatter. Again though- I didn't replace mine and it's fine. I should have just replaced that throwout bearing and been done but I didn't. The second TOB didn't last long before the noise came back. I think I'm on my 3rd now with the OEM being the quietest despite Spec sending "an OEM" and the National brand I replaced that one with.....which is supposed to be better than the OEM. It's a crap shoot on those bearings.

Quick Reply: 5 Year Warranty Inspection Yields New Transmission (Rebuild)