Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5w-40 oil analysis results

Old 08-22-2018, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Based on the last OCI, it's about 1 qt per 6K miles with 0w-40 (Amsoil AZF). No oil or residue on the throttle body, and the breather hose from the air cleaner to the valve cover is dry.

Suggest trying amsoil's engine flush, which may free up sticking piston rings. I used it last OCI on the Jeep, and have used it many times with several engines. My method is to idle with the flush longer the the directions say, and also put it in 4LO for a faster idle.

Thanks for the advice will do.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:38 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb 0w-40 oil analysis - 105500 miles

Another relatively short OCI for me, wanted to try out 5w-50 this winter -- More later. Wear metals look normal for Xw-40 and this engine, updated the graph below. Regarding the spike 3 samples prior, the washable air filter is still the prime suspect for the higher silicon (from dust) causing the higher than normal iron, chrome, and aluminum (see posts 147 and 149). Tossed a similar filter on my truck as well, not knowing when cleaning has degraded filtering, especially a Jeep that eats a lot of dust is a deal breaker. Oil consumption is up a bit at 1 quart in 5000 miles.

Oil: Amsoil AZF 0w-40
Filter: FRAM XG3600 (oversize, same as 2008 Jeep Liberty 3.7L)
OCI: 5000 miles
Oil consumed during OCI: 1 Quart
Total miles: 105500

Aluminum (AL) 2 ppm
Iron (FE) 7 ppm
Copper (CU) 11 ppm
Lead (PB) 0 ppm
Tin (SN) 0 ppm
Chromium (CR) 0 ppm
Nickel 0 ppm
Cadmium 0 ppm
Silver 0 ppm
Vanadium 0 ppm
Silicon 11 ppm
Sodium 14 ppm
TBN 5.2
Old 11-10-2018, 03:38 PM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another relatively short OCI for me, wanted to try out 5w-50 this winter -- More later. Wear metals look normal for Xw-40 and this engine, updated the graph below. Regarding the spike 3 samples prior, the washable air filter is still the prime suspect for the higher silicon (from dust) causing the higher than normal iron, chrome, and aluminum (see posts 147 and 149). Tossed a similar filter on my truck as well, not knowing when cleaning has degraded filtering, especially a Jeep that eats a lot of dust is a deal breaker. Oil consumption is up a bit at 1 quart in 5000 miles.

Oil: Amsoil AZF 0w-40
Filter: FRAM XG3600 (oversize, same as 2008 Jeep Liberty 3.7L)
OCI: 5000 miles
Oil consumed during OCI: 1 Quart
Total miles: 105500

Aluminum (AL) 2 ppm
Iron (FE) 7 ppm
Copper (CU) 11 ppm
Lead (PB) 0 ppm
Tin (SN) 0 ppm
Chromium (CR) 0 ppm
Nickel 0 ppm
Cadmium 0 ppm
Silver 0 ppm
Vanadium 0 ppm
Silicon 11 ppm
Sodium 14 ppm
TBN 5.2

Interesting thread
Been using Mobil 1 OW-40 ESP in my 2.8CRD for the last 50,000 miles and have been quite happy with it especially in the colder months
Engine quieter (as a 2007 diesel can be ! ) & appears to run smoother than the 5W-30 and doesn't loose a drop of oil. (fingers crossed) Now done over 90,000 miles
However being a diesel, the oil tends to get dirty quite quickly and as I've found a much cheaper supply, I tend to change oil & filter more frequently at every 3 - 4 thousand. about twice a year
Old 11-10-2018, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

The 2.8CRD is a nice engine, they didn't offer it in the states for the JK due to our hyper-strict emissions laws. Bet it lasts a long time!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:36 AM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2.8CRD is a nice engine, they didn't offer it in the states for the JK due to our hyper-strict emissions laws. Bet it lasts a long time!

Well I hope so
Its all the bits that bolt onto it that usually give the issues over time
Seeing the new JL prices over here at current conversion $62000 (including 20% sales tax) for a 2.1 Fiat diesel is off putting to say the least.
No V6 pentastar choice
Will just keep changing the fluids & fighting off the rust and paying exorbitant road tax for a few years more in the hope better options are offered such as the VM V6 3.0L diesel that has been rumoured.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:02 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Smile 5w-50 oil analysis results...

Oil: Amsoil AMR 5w-50
Filter: Amsoil EA034 (oversize, same as 2008 Jeep Liberty 3.7L)
OCI: 3100 miles
Oil consumed during OCI: No oil added, a bit under 1QT low.

This is sample 11 on the chart below:

Aluminum (AL) 1 ppm
Iron (FE) 3 ppm

Chromium (CR) 0 ppm
Silicon (Si) 8 ppm -- Typically from inhaled dust, which accelerates wear.
Copper (CU) 7 ppm
Lead (PB) 0 ppm
Tin (SN) 0 ppm
TBN 6.3

Commentary:
This is the second OCI with 5w-50, and the first analysis. 5w-50 in winter, temps in the 20's and 30's, daily driven short 4 mile trips plus some longer trips each month. Over the last 3 years usage has morphed from mostly long trips to this regime. The OCI has been getting shorter as well, the oil looks and smells like it should be changed -- but it probably doesn't.

The take-away is that using this relatively high viscosity grade 5w-50, even with short trips where the engine barely warms up in below freezing weather, still produces very low engine wear. The 5w lower temperature viscosity rating and the additives apparently minimize the cold-start wear. The old axiom that cold starts cause most/more wear appears to be false, at least in this case using a modern quality oil. There's no noticeable change in MPG either.

Next up: Back to 5w-40, Amsoil DEO which is both gasoline rated (SN) and diesel rated (CJ-4). The rationale is that my short-trip usage could benefit from more detergents and dispersants in a combo gasoline/diesel rated oil. Furthermore, the increase in oil consumption (currently ~1QT/3000 miles) may be related to piston rings sticking a bit from short-trip related gunk.

But rather than go directly to 5w-40, a cheap 5w-30 was run for a short while, followed by a 15 minute (on fast idle) detergent flush (Amsoil FLSHCN). Two reasons: Give the detergents in the flush a better chance to remove gunk from the rings, and also get some oil pressure readings with 5w-30.

Will post some comparative oil pressure data on 5w-30, 5w-40, and 5w-50 soon. It will take a while to get a read on any change in oil consumption.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Oil: Amsoil AMR 5w-50
Filter: Amsoil EA034 (oversize, same as 2008 Jeep Liberty 3.7L)
OCI: 3100 miles
Oil consumed during OCI: No oil added, a bit under 1QT low.

Commentary:
This is the second OCI with 5w-50, and the first analysis. 5w-50 in winter, temps in the 20's and 30's, daily driven short 4 mile trips plus some longer trips each month. Over the last 3 years usage has morphed from mostly long trips to this regime. The OCI has been getting shorter as well, the oil looks and smells like it should be changed -- but it probably doesn't.

The take-away is that using this relatively high viscosity grade 5w-50, even with short trips where the engine barely warms up in below freezing weather, still produces very low engine wear. The 5w lower temperature viscosity rating and the additives apparently minimize the cold-start wear. The old axiom that cold starts cause most/more wear appears to be false, at least in this case using a modern quality oil. There's no noticeable change in MPG either.

Next up: Back to 5w-40, Amsoil DEO which is both gasoline rated (SN) and diesel rated (CJ-4). The rationale is that my short-trip usage could benefit from more detergents and dispersants in a combo gasoline/diesel rated oil. Furthermore, the increase in oil consumption (currently ~1QT/3000 miles) may be related to piston rings sticking a bit from short-trip related gunk.

But rather than go directly to 5w-40, a cheap 5w-30 was run for a short while, followed by a 15 minute (on fast idle) detergent flush (Amsoil FLSHCN). Two reasons: Give the detergents in the flush a better chance to remove gunk from the rings, and also get some oil pressure readings with 5w-30.

Will post some comparative oil pressure data on 5w-30, 5w-40, and 5w-50 soon. It will take a while to get a read on any change in oil consumption.

Out of curiosity and you seem to know WAY more about oil then i do, what would you suggest down on the Texas coast, everyday driver short trips with monthly wheeling trip? I have the Penastar.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:36 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DEJK2012
Out of curiosity and you seem to know WAY more about oil then i do, what would you suggest down on the Texas coast, everyday driver short trips with monthly wheeling trip? I have the Penastar.
If it was mine, I'd use the same oil I'm using at the moment: 5w-40 (amsoil DEO).

On a side note, the pentastar originally spec'd 5w-30. There are posts going back in time in this thread (and others) about using 0w-40 or 5w-40 in that engine without issue. This higher viscosity might reduce wear (especially at high temps, lugging the engine, etc.) and doesn't appear to make wear worse.

The following users liked this post:
DEJK2012 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've often wondered if they actually changed anything internally when they made the switch from 5w-30 to 5w-20 od was it just like Ram did with the 5.7 to get better fuel mileage ratings
Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by akguy09
I've often wondered if they actually changed anything internally when they made the switch from 5w-30 to 5w-20 od was it just like Ram did with the 5.7 to get better fuel mileage ratings
AFIK clearances and tolerances are all the same.

On a related side note, the 5w-50 I used above is the oil for hi-performance Ford's with the track-package. From reading the Mustang forums, the track-pack engines have the same clearances and tolerances as the non track-packs that spec a 20 grade oil instead. GM went the opposite route, rather than spec a higher viscosity full time there's a note about raising the oil viscosity for track use in the owner's manual.

Last edited by Mr.T; 04-26-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: 5w-40 oil analysis results