Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

6 Speed Transmission Rebuild (partial) Advice - Fixing 1st Gear Issue.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
I don't agree. I think this is a fine transmission. Popping out of gear was an issue, but beyond that, I've been pleased with it.
While popping out of gear might be a "minor" design issue, it required numerous dealer visits to resolve.

I don't know about you, but the less time I sit in a dealership waiting room, or jack around my schedule to get rides back and forth, the happier I am.

The nearest Jeep dealer is about 30 miles about, we bought ours out of state 60 miles away.

I had to rebuild three Gertag transmission for BMW motorcycles when the output bearing failed AFTER they deleted a 50 cent circlip and matching bearing retaining groove. We have the data to show when the circlips were eliminated, which boxes were affected and when the started using the circlip again. It was somewhere around 250k gearboxes, almost NONE fixed under warrenty. Lucking, the ones I had, we caught before gear clusters were ruined.

Gertag KNOWS how to build good quality gearboxes, but value engineering (make the cheaper) to pad company profits, and at high cost to the user is not the way to get rave reviews.

I had a very similiar gearbox in my 07 Dodge Ram1500 pickup, it used ATF, not MT fluid, and performed extremely well.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:42 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by hetkind
Those "bad" gearboxes are made by Gertag, one of major transmission suppliers to BMW and MB name a few...

Gertag seems to be captive to "value engineering" by taking good designs and turning them to trash in the same saving a few pennies. It took four dealer visits before they finally agreed we had a tranny issue...

Howard
I couldn't find any direct evidence it's made by GETRAG:
Getriebe und Zahnradfabrik Hermann Hagenmeyer AkteinGesellschaft

Indirectly, I can see where it's possible.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hetkind

While popping out of gear might be a "minor" design issue, it required numerous dealer visits to resolve.

I don't know about you, but the less time I sit in a dealership waiting room, or jack around my schedule to get rides back and forth, the happier I am.

The nearest Jeep dealer is about 30 miles about, we bought ours out of state 60 miles away.

I had to rebuild three Gertag transmission for BMW motorcycles when the output bearing failed AFTER they deleted a 50 cent circlip and matching bearing retaining groove. We have the data to show when the circlips were eliminated, which boxes were affected and when the started using the circlip again. It was somewhere around 250k gearboxes, almost NONE fixed under warrenty. Lucking, the ones I had, we caught before gear clusters were ruined.

Gertag KNOWS how to build good quality gearboxes, but value engineering (make the cheaper) to pad company profits, and at high cost to the user is not the way to get rave reviews.

I had a very similiar gearbox in my 07 Dodge Ram1500 pickup, it used ATF, not MT fluid, and performed extremely well.
This is the only significant issue I've had with this transmission. It was fixed at no cost and the fix was successful. I've always liked the feel of it and the clutch.

I've had several Getrag manual transmissions in GM cars, and never had trouble with them. (I'm also not sure the JK unit is a Getrag. What is your source of info on it?).

I still disagree that this is a bad transmission, based on my experience.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

apologies for reviving an old thread,... but I think this thread describes my scenario perfectly...

09 Rubi.. My (manual) tranny is out, with what I thought was going to be a bad throwout bearing...
I bought a Centerforce Spec 2 clutch, since the tranny was going to be out and open.

Turns out that:
* the pilot bear disintegrated
* the input shaft is scored
* the input shaft is loose (suggesting a soon-to-be-bad input shaft bearing)

I was quoted $2400 just to rebuild the tranny (replace input shaft and supposedly with heavy duty gears/bearings, seals, etc...). Are there other options that I should be considering?

Is it worth considering switching to an auto at this point (eg. Review - ATS 42RLE Transmission 07-12 Jeep JK).

All suggestions, comments and criticisms welcome and appreciated.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

no suggestions?

Originally Posted by nytennisaddict
apologies for reviving an old thread,... but I think this thread describes my scenario perfectly...

09 Rubi.. My (manual) tranny is out, with what I thought was going to be a bad throwout bearing...
I bought a Centerforce Spec 2 clutch, since the tranny was going to be out and open.

Turns out that:
* the pilot bear disintegrated
* the input shaft is scored
* the input shaft is loose (suggesting a soon-to-be-bad input shaft bearing)

I was quoted $2400 just to rebuild the tranny (replace input shaft and supposedly with heavy duty gears/bearings, seals, etc...). Are there other options that I should be considering?

Is it worth considering switching to an auto at this point (eg. Review - ATS 42RLE Transmission 07-12 Jeep JK).

All suggestions, comments and criticisms welcome and appreciated.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nytennisaddict
no suggestions?
That quote seems very high to me, and I don't know why you'd want an auto if you crawl.
Just my 2 cents.

RT
Old 11-30-2014, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

That price is crazy high. A new input shaft rebuild typically runs between $1200 to $1700 for American cars.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

My pilot bearing just did the same thing. Transmission is on a table. How difficult is it to replace the input shaft? Special press?

Quick Reply: 6 Speed Transmission Rebuild (partial) Advice - Fixing 1st Gear Issue.