Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

the 6th gear rattle....

Old 12-19-2006, 02:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the 6th gear rattle....

Everytime I put my Jeep in 6th gear I get this annoying rattle that sounds like its coming from the shifter knob or shaft. I can't pin it down. Maybe the cover around the shifter boot is loose or maybe that plastic insert on the shifter knob. I dunno. Its driving me nuts and I've checked EVERYTHING! Anybody gotta clue as to what the heck it could be or whats causing it?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have this, it comes about during lower rpm when torque is applied by the motor, in such cases as upshifting. I was thinking this may be the throwoutbearing noise people are talking about. it mght just be vibrating around slightly.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:42 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get a rattle or buzz, kind of like a muffler/converter heat sheild is loose and vibrating.

I have the automatic (the wife's foot stomp, i had to give on something) and this happens at low speed, maybe 10-15mph, and under load when the engine is working to accelerate. If i float the throttle at just the right point, i can duplicate it. I didn't think to check the RPM range it happens at, i should probably do that.

Quick Reply: the 6th gear rattle....