Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ABS Module diagnostics

Old 09-10-2014, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS Module diagnostics

Good Morning All,
I have a 2008 Unlimited Rubicon, SC 87 tune installed, 2.5 lift (installed in 2010) running 33's. Last night after being parked for a short period of time, I started in up and was greeted with a plethora of dash lights as seen below. I posted two because the sway bay was blinking like when you are in between connected/disconnected. Also the speedometer was not displaying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xmas_tree_display1.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	575113 Click image for larger version

Name:	Xmas_tree_display2.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	575114

When I got home I read the codes which were:

U1110 - Loss of vehicle speed
U0121 - Loss of communications with the ABS module
C2200 - Anti-lock Brake Module Internal

I cleared them all, started it and drove around the block and all was well. But this morning when I went to go, the same thing happened.

Now I have been searching the forums all morning and finding some good info but most of it seems related to a wheel sensor. It seems my symptoms are related to the ABS module, so I was wondering if anyone has any specific experience with diagnosing a wheel sensor versus the module. Also how do you determine what wheel sensor it is? Randomly change until you find it or can you ohm it out?

Thanks for the help, I cleaned up the battery terminals last night in the dark but am going to go out there at lunch and go over it again just to make sure as well as verify connections. But just wondering if I am heading in the right troubleshooting route or out in left field. Definitely don't want to buy the module if a wheel sensor will get me back on track.

As usual thanks for the support!
Woody
Old 09-10-2014, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

I just disconnected and cleaned the battery terminals. Still throwing the same codes.

I want to disconnect the ABS module, but that plug does not want to come off. Is there a release for it? Seems like I am going to break it and I'm worried I will have more issues than just x-mas tree lights on my dash.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2014, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Still fighting this mother...

I am still quite baffled by this issue. I initially wanted to damn the ABS module but it does sort of seem like a voltage/ground issue.

I have cleaned all the battery connections. Cleaned all the ground posts. Had the battery tested (at Autozone with electronic tester) and they said it is good.

Right now, after it sits for the night, I get all the lights upon start-up. After it had ran for a few minutes, you can shut it off and immediately restart, and everything clears except the CEL. After it is ran a little longer and then restarted the CEL will clear too.

It makes me want to damn that battery but heck I don't know. I fear the dealer will want to replace the wiring harness or something like that. The codes show for ABS module, no individual wheel sensor codes flash, so maybe it is that thing but seems like it would stay on all the time.

Maybe I will get an old school resistance load tester and see if that damns the battery...
Old 10-07-2014, 03:09 PM
JK Freak

I just had to replace my abs control module in my 07. I would guess that is what your problem is. There is a difference in the lights you have and those that light up when it is just a wheel speed sensor. When it is just a wheel speed sensor, you don't get the e-brake light. When it is abs control module, you do. I also had the exact codes you are throwing.

There is a release for the control module connection. It is sort of hard to explain through typing. If you want, send me a PM and I'll send ya my phone number hat you could call and I could try to talk ya through it. I am guessing you'll have to replace it completely though.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs module replacement

Originally Posted by Cjsmith4
I just had to replace my abs control module in my 07. I would guess that is what your problem is. There is a difference in the lights you have and those that light up when it is just a wheel speed sensor. When it is just a wheel speed sensor, you don't get the e-brake light. When it is abs control module, you do. I also had the exact codes you are throwing.

There is a release for the control module connection. It is sort of hard to explain through typing. If you want, send me a PM and I'll send ya my phone number hat you could call and I could try to talk ya through it. I am guessing you'll have to replace it completely though.
Did you have to replace the electric and hydraulic ABS modules?

I have a quote for $1,250 to replace both of mine. Not sure If I need both though. I have all 4 brake lights lighting up on the dash. No warranty on a 2008 Jeep JK 4dr w/ 75,000 miles. I don't have the money and am not sure how I am going to get this fixed.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Default C2200 Code

Can anyone help out with what the solution was? My code reader is throwing the ABS Control module code. I ordered the module but am unsure what exactly needs to be done (or if I even ordered the right part). Will I need to disconnect all the brake lines and bleed the system or is this just a sensor type of connection? Information seems to be a little lacking. I appreciate any help.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by epavlich1
Can anyone help out with what the solution was? My code reader is throwing the ABS Control module code. I ordered the module but am unsure what exactly needs to be done (or if I even ordered the right part). Will I need to disconnect all the brake lines and bleed the system or is this just a sensor type of connection? Information seems to be a little lacking. I appreciate any help.
Did you ever resolve the issue? I have the same exact issue right now
Old 09-23-2017, 04:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jr24jku
Did you ever resolve the issue? I have the same exact issue right now
My lights went off for quite a while so I figured my jeep is self-healing. Just this week I got the Christmas tree effect going on. I just ordered the parts and plan on trying to replace everything in a week or so when I get the parts from RockAuto.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone have any luck without replaceing the whole unit?
Old 10-30-2017, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

I am experiencing the same scenario...

Quick Reply: ABS Module diagnostics