JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   AC on JK seems to lose chill every couple minutes (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/ac-jk-seems-lose-chill-every-couple-minutes-83188/)

silvel2edge 04-23-2009 09:15 PM

AC on JK seems to lose chill every couple minutes

I just got a new JK unlimited last week and the AC has been kind of bugging me since I notice it. I can turn the AC all the way to cold and it definately gets cold for awhile, but then i'll notice it warm up or lose it's chill almost like I turned the outside air on for about 10-15 seconds then it get's it's chill back again. I mean it's not uncomfortable it's just enough that I notice it. It seems to get like 5-10 degrees warmer and then cools back down. It's almost like it's cycling or trying to get enough energy to cool it back down for another minute or two. Also, It'll do the same thing whether it's on recirculate mode or just regular AC.

Does anyone else have this issue or does your AC seem to stay the same temperature always? I'll probably have the dealer look at it but was just curious if I'm not alone.

RedneckJeep 04-24-2009 04:06 AM

It is normal for the A/C to cycle on and off. Does it keep the cabin cool?

TheonlyREDhead 2008 JK 04-24-2009 05:05 AM

I would have it checked out at the dealer, is your radiator clean?

Red

silvel2edge 04-24-2009 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep (Post 1082203)
It is normal for the A/C to cycle on and off. Does it keep the cabin cool?

Eh, My Highlander doesn't do this... it remains Ice cold at all times. My Mustang didn't do this either.

I just called the dealership and explained the issue. They think it could be low on freon or another issue but said it should stay cold and remain cold. Gonna take it in tomorrow.

silvel2edge 04-24-2009 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by TheonlyREDhead 2008 JK (Post 1082267)
I would have it checked out at the dealer, is your radiator clean?

Red

Yea it's clean... only 300 miles on it.

jkkat 04-24-2009 07:09 AM

I'll bet its cycling on the low limit. meaning in english, it might need some refrigerant.

geoffcwilson 04-25-2009 04:50 AM

This is normal operation of all AC units. It depends on what else you are doing with the vehicle. If you are trying to maintain 80mph with the AC going, there just isn't enough power under the hood to do both, so the AC will cycle.
Try out your system at idle and it should blow cold continuously - if not, I agree take it in to get looked at.

RedneckJeep 04-25-2009 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by silvel2edge (Post 1082430)
Eh, My Highlander doesn't do this... it remains Ice cold at all times. My Mustang didn't do this either.

I just called the dealership and explained the issue. They think it could be low on freon or another issue but said it should stay cold and remain cold. Gonna take it in tomorrow.

I didn't say it was normal for it to heat up. I said it's normal for the compressor to cycle. Yes, your highlander does it, too. So did your Rustang. They all do it. Just like a home compressor.

silvel2edge 04-25-2009 04:24 PM

Well the evac'd the system and replaced the freon and it's still doing it. Grr... now I have to leave it there so they can finish working on it on Monday. He said they think it might be some gauge or thermostat part or something though they said it's not throwing any codes in the "star" system and they haven't seen this on any wranglers so far.

RedneckJeep 04-25-2009 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by silvel2edge (Post 1084952)
Well the evac'd the system and replaced the freon and it's still doing it. Grr... now I have to leave it there so they can finish working on it on Monday. He said they think it might be some gauge or thermostat part or something though they said it's not throwing any codes in the "star" system and they haven't seen this on any wranglers so far.

It could be something as simple as a pressure switch out of adjustment. I don't know what they might be talking about.......expansion valve perhaps. I don't think these things use an orfice tube like GM.