Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Adjusting Steering Box/ Does anyone agree?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting Steering Box/ Does anyone agree?

My steering has become loose. By loose I mean that there is slack in the steering wheel, basically a large dead space in the turning of the wheel before the steering box engages the drag link to turn. I have done quite a bit of research indicating that the problem is stemming from the steering box.

Now here is my question. After researching the forum people seem to have very different views as to whether you can adjust the steering box on the jeep.

Some say that you cannot adjust it while it is on the jeep. Others say that you must lift the front wheels and adjust 1/8 inch at a time. While others say that you can simply adjust it by feel.

Can someone shed some light on the truth?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of one member on here doing it with no repercussions, but... ronjenx on here could give you what the book says to do. It was a bit easier on older steering boxes, but you could still f'em up if not careful. Me, I'll prolly just get my box beefed up, looking at redneck ram stuff.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dmerk524
My steering has become loose. By loose I mean that there is slack in the steering wheel, basically a large dead space in the turning of the wheel before the steering box engages the drag link to turn. I have done quite a bit of research indicating that the problem is stemming from the steering box.

Now here is my question. After researching the forum people seem to have very different views as to whether you can adjust the steering box on the jeep.

Some say that you cannot adjust it while it is on the jeep. Others say that you must lift the front wheels and adjust 1/8 inch at a time. While others say that you can simply adjust it by feel.

Can someone shed some light on the truth?

Thanks,

Dan
Most recirculating ball type steering boxes have an adjustment that will take play out of the mechanism with the tradeoff that it adds more resistance and lessens the self centering capability of the system. But, I would tighten the box only as a lost resort and after having eliminated all other points where slack can accumulate; drag link, tie rod ends, and ball joints.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Last resort

At this point I have replaced the tie rod because a new one came with my axle, the drag link has been replaced as well. The problem is at center the wheel has a significant amount of play before it engages the wheels. When driving down a straight road it is as if there is no centering quality. I have also check castor which is almost at 7 degrees.

Any advice is appreciated
Old 08-31-2010, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Please I Need help so ... bump
Old 08-31-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You may have other things going on with your steering.
But, if you feel you need to adjust the screw on the steering box, here is the right way to do it.
The torque wrench needs to be the bar type, or a dial indicator type, graduated in inch/pounds.

STEERING GEAR

NOTE: Adjusting the steering gear in the vehicle is not recommended. Remove gear from the vehicle and drain the fluid. Then mount gear in a vise to perform adjustments.

OVER-CENTER

1. Rotate the stub shaft with Socket 8343 from stop to stop and count the number of turns.
2. Center the stub shaft by rotating it from the stop 1/2 of the total amount of turns.
3. Place torque wrench and Socket 8343 in a vertical position on the stub shaft. Rotate the wrench 45 degrees each side of the center and record the highest rotational torque in this range. This is the Over-Center Rotating Torque. NOTE: The stub shaft must rotate smoothly without sticking or binding.

4. Rotate the stub shaft between 90° and 180° to the left of center and record the left off-center preload. Repeat this to the right of center and record the right off-center preload. The average of these two recorded readings is the Preload Rotating Torque.
5. The Over-Center Rotating Torque should be 0.45-0.80 N·m (4-7 in. lbs.) higher than the Preload Rotating Torque.
6. If an adjustment to the Over-Center Rotating Torque is necessary, first loosen the adjuster lock nut. Then turn the pitman shaft adjuster screw back (COUNTERCLOCKWISE) until fully extended, then turn back in (CLOCKWISE) one full turn.
7. Remeasure Over-Center Rotating Torque. If necessary turn the adjuster screw and repeat measurement until correct Over-Center Rotating Torque is reached. NOTE: To increase the Over-Center Rotating Torque turn the screw CLOCKWISE.

8. Prevent the adjuster screw from turning while tightening adjuster lock nut. Tighten the adjuster lock nut to 37-52 N·m (27-38 ft. lbs.).

Quick Reply: Adjusting Steering Box/ Does anyone agree?