Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Advice needed for Towing a car with stock JK unlimited

Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice needed for Towing a car with stock JK unlimited

I'm moving summer of 2012, and trying to plan ahead. I'm a surgical resident, so budget is tight, and I'm trying to find the most economical way to get my 2009 JK BASIC unlimited 4 door, my girlfriend's 2008 4 door VW jetta, and our pack of 3 dogs down to Houston from Ohio (about 1200 miles). We would prefer to drive together. Gas saved with driving just the jeep and towing the VW may or may not help out, depending on how much we can get a tow dolly for.

In any case, any suggestions on upgrades or advice needed to do this? Unfortunately I have heard Uhaul won't rent a tow dolly to a soft top jeep, which is what I have. I'll have to look for another company or see if anyone is selling one off of craigslist for a decent price.

I got the basic 2009 Jeep Unlimited 4 door. Dana 30 up front, 3.21 gears, upgraded the stock 16" wheels to 17" 32" wheels and tires off of another JK. Other than that, I have added a class III receiver hitch, and nothing else.

A few specific questions:
Has anyone run this set up to tow? I don't need to get there fast, just need to get there and not ruin my truck.
Should I get a transmission cooler?
Should I regear? To what? Approximately how much is that gonna cost?
Is a tow dolly the way to go, or should I or even can I tow on a flat trailer with the car off of the pavement all together?
Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Once I finish my fellowship I'll finally be able to afford some fun upgrades, but in the mean time, I'll be running stock if possible.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

With those gears, and up-sized tires, you'd be best off driving both vehicles.

You don't need a transmission cooler if you have 3.21 gears, because 3.21 gears means you have a 6 speed.

edit to add:
But, your profile says you have an automatic. You most likely have 3.73 gears. (There is an easy 10 minute way to tell if you are willing to get your hands on the Jeep.)
Get a cooler whether you tow or not.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-01-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with 3.73s a jku can only tow 3500. That jetta is awfully close to that... I wouldnt risk it.

Drive them both.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ive towed many things with many vehicles.. I have a 10 jku with 3.73s and 33's. I wouldn't even consider towing a jetta unless it was short distance and flat ground. You can't accelerate, or stop fast enough with that much load on one of these to be safe in traffic. I've towed 3200 lbs behind mine, and the slightest incline puts you in 3rd or 4th gear very quickly!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice. Looks like we are driving both. Maybe I'll end up hooking a utility trailer to mine and towing several boxes and my bicycles then. By the way how do I check which gears I have (3.73 vs 3.21, just curious?)
Old 06-01-2011, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 08 rubi unlimited and was in a pickle to tow. Went to u-haul and said no because it was a soft top. Went to another u-haul and guy was nice enough to suggest I say I have a Cherokee. Went a few towns over and picked up my old 2002 grand am gt, holly cow that was crazy. Have towed some cars in my day with a tow dolly and a truck but wouldn't do this again unless it was an emergency. Could really feel that car back there.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

well it wont matter what you drive. I would say that using a service is a lot better, i have used 24 Hour NYC Towing Services a couple of times and seriously it saved me time and alot of money. I usually have to travel states and i prefer to travel with my co worker. As i love travelling.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by emmyhale
well it wont matter what you drive. I would say that using a service is a lot better, i have used 24 Hour NYC Towing Services a couple of times and seriously it saved me time and alot of money. I usually have to travel states and i prefer to travel with my co worker. As i love travelling.
It's close to having been 7 years. I think they made that journey and then some.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Just drive the car. I put a Taurus wagon on the back of my '10 2dr, 3.73, 33's at the time. I made it across town but I wasn't willing to go much further. In comparison, I had a 90 Ford Bronco with the anal v8 and pulled a tandem axle car trailer across town without issue.

Tow with a proper vehicle, the jeep just isn't up to the task like something designed for it. Towing a small utility trailer isn't a big deal, I tow one frequently on the same jeep but with 35's now. As mentioned, you lose your higher gears and you've got to be aware of stopping distance, but it will pull.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cosmokramer
. By the way how do I check which gears I have (3.73 vs 3.21, just curious?)
Easiest way is to just pull the build sheet to see what it was equipped with from the factory (unless you still have the window sticker). Go to the following link and on the left side of the page click on the link for Equipment Listing. Once that opens, you can enter your VIN number and get your build sheet that will tell you exactly how the Jeep was equipped when built.

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...527R%2527%2529

Quick Reply: Advice needed for Towing a car with stock JK unlimited