Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AGM or Not?

Old 07-03-2018, 02:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AGM or Not?

Well I replaced my battery this weekend with a non AGM one, how many have done this and if so was there any issues?
Old 07-03-2018, 03:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I have pretty much used standard Walmart max ever start batteries in all my vehicles for years without issue. My 2012 Jku has had one for about 4 years now. It's still going strong and has now lasted more than twice as long as the crappy stock battery.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Unless you're winching a lot or in situations where you could flop or roll, I doubt you'd see the difference. The advantage an AGM has is that it recharges like 5 times faster (one reason trolling motors recommend AGM) and then the sulfuric acid is absorbed my glass mat which makes it spill proof (flop/roll over advantage). They also do well in cold climate. The down side (so I've heard) is they don't take heat as well as a flooded cell battery.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Well walmart would not actually replace my battery because it calls for an AGM in there book but they had the battery in the Maxx Ever Start but wouldn't install it, policy they said. So I traveled to autozone where my friend works anyways and got a 15% discount and they installed what I wanted with a 3 yr. replacment and 2 more yrs. pro-rated, go figure.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

How does it call for an AGM when the stock battery is not an AGM?

I have an AGM because overall they're a better battery, but they're not required and don't come from the factory with an AGM.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
How does it call for an AGM when the stock battery is not an AGM?

I have an AGM because overall they're a better battery, but they're not required and don't come from the factory with an AGM.
I was thinking the same thing. The jeeps come with crappy batteries that generally don't last long, not AGM. The Walmart person was ill-informed.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I was thinking the same thing. The jeeps come with crappy batteries that generally don't last long, not AGM. The Walmart person was ill-informed.
Walmart has some very ill-informed "mechanics". I bet their book/computer recommends an AMG and they misinterpreted it. I had a Volvo in to a Walmart once for tires and they almost didn't do it because Volvo's have factory lug bolts instead of lug nuts and the mechanic thought it was something aftermarket and they have to return everything to stock/factory format for liability reasons...same reason a lot of big tire franchises won't mount 12.5 wides on factory wheels.

My question is though, would they not let you buy the battery you wanted and take it home to install it yourself?
Old 07-04-2018, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An AGM can take a deeper discharge without damaging the battery.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wuebben.2
Walmart has some very ill-informed "mechanics". I bet their book/computer recommends an AMG and they misinterpreted it. I had a Volvo in to a Walmart once for tires and they almost didn't do it because Volvo's have factory lug bolts instead of lug nuts and the mechanic thought it was something aftermarket and they have to return everything to stock/factory format for liability reasons...same reason a lot of big tire franchises won't mount 12.5 wides on factory wheels.

My question is though, would they not let you buy the battery you wanted and take it home to install it yourself?
Yeah, I could have installed it myself but I was already cleaned up and was going to grocery store to buy stuff for a cookout because it was my moms birthday. That's why I went on to autozone and like I said I got the battery for about the same cost with the 15% discount and it was installed. LOL
Old 07-13-2018, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Costco has interstate for 4 year warranty. I went with sears AGM gold and got it replaced under 3 year warranty. 2nd battery. Think it was $210.

I would just get a battery with a good warranty and if it dies get a new one. It would suck getting stuck out on a trail.

Quick Reply: AGM or Not?