Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

All gauges stopped working, all warning lights came on...

Old 10-08-2010, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All gauges stopped working, all warning lights came on...

...6 weeks after the warranty expires:

Picture taken with motor running, and a full tank of gas.

Thursday night I jumped in my jeep. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, all of the lights on the cluster lit up, everyone of them (ABS, seat belt, low fuel, etc.). Also, the tach and speedo dropped to zero and for a second, I thought the motor had died. The DIC screen said "no buS". I killed the jeep and cranked it back up, and everything was working again. I drove 20 miles home, no problems.

Frday morning I jump in and crank it up. Start to back out the driveway, go to turn the radio on, and notice that the radio screen is blank (no clock). I try to turn the radio on and it won't come on. I look at the cluster, and it's lit up like a Christmas tree again. Tach is at zero even thought the motor is running, temp is at zero. Gas guage is at zero even though I have a full tank. Outside temp says "----" All warning lights are on. DIC screen displays "no buS" again.

Friday night when I got home cranked it up, problem still there.

As suggested below, I pulled the battery and went and had it tested. Fully charged, but would drop to 8.99 under load. Tested bad. Installed new battery. Installed new terminals. Cleaned all connections, unhooked my winch and running lights (just in case). Put everything back together, cranked it up, problem still there.

Checked voltage at battery with engine running, sitting at 13.66

Checked leads from battery on both sides of the fuseable links. All are good.

I let it run for a while and got to messing around to see what all was working and what wasn't.

Not working:
Cluster is lit up
Headlights, park lights, and taillights are on even though the switch is off
Factory fog lights will not come on
Radio will not come on
Wipers and washer will not come on
Horn does not work

Here is what does work:
Engine is running fine
Power window work
keyless entry works

I haven't been offroad in probably 7 or 8 months. I haven't done any mods this year.

2007 Wrangler Ulimited Rubicon / automatic / ~28,000 miles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10-21-2010 follow up: The dealer installed a new OEM cluster, and everything worked for less than 5 miles. Then it went right back like it was, and the Jeep is now back at the dealer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10-28-2010 follow up: Just got it back from the dealer again. This time they replaced the TIPM. I have only put 2 miles on it so far. We will see if that did the trick.

2-29-2012 follow up: TIPM did the trick. No problems in the year and half since.

Last edited by saskipper; 02-29-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

maybe your battery is dead... my jk had some freakin problems with the eletrics, the no-bus message included.

Just bought a new battery and it was fixed
Old 10-08-2010, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a battery issue. My 99TJ used to do that randomly. I would look at my friend and he would say "It's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bazillus
maybe your battery is dead... my jk had some freakin problems with the eletrics, the no-bus message included.

Just bought a new battery and it was fixed
It started. He may have blown the main fuse of one of the three (3) leads off the battery. Two of those 3 wires goes toward the driver side firewall, one to the fuse box next to the battery

Last edited by Enzo; 10-08-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

updated original post and added pic
Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also check to see that all the grounds are secure near the driver side kick panel. There are several grounds from the dash that are grounded there.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a rotted terminal on your battery...check for severe corrosion that happened to me while I was driving...you can buy a new terminal adapter but I would go for a new battery because of the corrosion and acid buildup
Old 10-10-2010, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MoridinTX
Also check to see that all the grounds are secure near the driver side kick panel. There are several grounds from the dash that are grounded there.
My 99 sahara had the same symptoms and it turned out to be the ground by the kick panel
Old 10-10-2010, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sea2SkyJK
You have a rotted terminal on your battery...check for severe corrosion that happened to me while I was driving...you can buy a new terminal adapter but I would go for a new battery because of the corrosion and acid buildup

I did have rotted terminals, but I replaced them both earlier today when I installed the new battery. I also cleaned both sides of every wire-end with a wire brush. Everything is 100% at the battery now. Didn't help. The problem is still there.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default programming?

this looks like the dash during the hypertech reprogramming cycle... do you have hypertech or similar... if so have you tried putting it back to stock?

Quick Reply: All gauges stopped working, all warning lights came on...