JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Am I crazy for considering this? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/am-i-crazy-considering-348717/)

Jkjunky22 12-12-2018 03:17 PM

Am I crazy for considering this?

6 year loan in a 14’ Oscar mike Wrangler with 123k miles on it? It looks like it’s been very well taken care of. But I’m very skeptical. It’s such a beautiful Jeep though.

ronjenx 12-12-2018 03:48 PM

Six year loan on a 4 or 5 year old vehicle can't be a good idea. (Assuming you meant '14, and not 14', which would indicate a 2 door Wrangler.)
You may find a shorter term will have a lower interest rate.

Do some math. You'll probably owe more than it's worth for most of the term.

Mr.T 12-12-2018 03:49 PM

Maybe... Didn't mention the price or interest rate, so it sounds like you're looking for free financial advise: Generally, never take out a loan for anything except a house. An exception being that you have the cash (liquid, not retirement accounts), but the interest rate is so low that borrowing is almost free.
:cheers:

pkdailey4 12-12-2018 07:42 PM

High milage for a 14

resharp001 12-13-2018 03:57 AM

tell us all the important figure, which is the price. if you're having to look at a 6 year loan on a 4yo jeep with 123k miles, and you mention how beautiful it is, i have to guess this thing is probably modded out. if that is the case no, don't do it. 6 year loans suck, even on brand new cars.....and are often just a means to over extending your purchasing power to buy something you probably shouldn't be buying. me personally, i'd only ever do a 6 year loan on something i was going to keep for at least 10 years. when you're starting 4-5 years behind the curve on vehicle age, it's highly unlikely you'll keep it that long.

rob_engineer 12-13-2018 05:23 AM

What I try to do myself, and teach to my kids - avoid having any item where that item is worth less than what you owe on it. One beauty about our jeeps is that they hold their value so well. Less depreciation makes it easier to owe less that what it is worth if you have a decent down payment. As others have said. - tell us what the selling price is.

TheDirtman 12-13-2018 06:46 AM

Yes you are batshit crazy looking at getting a 6 year loan on a 5 year old car that is almost worn out. This should be a cash transaction and cost around $15-18k

Emoto 12-13-2018 12:15 PM

I wouldn't do it.

mefly2 12-14-2018 01:06 PM

Go for a shorter term that will still fit our budget ... maybe a different jeep ...

Mark Doiron 12-15-2018 12:18 AM

Mark's rule of thumb for auto buying: If you can't afford a three year loan, then you need to shop for less vehicle. And you should only buy a vehicle that you intend to keep for ten years, minimum. And during the seven years you're not paying for that vehicle, you should continue to invest the payments into the S&P 500 because of its low tax implications--I recommend VFINX because of its low fees. Then your replacement vehicle you'll buy in cash. And every one thereafter. Never pay another cent of interest for a car/truck/Jeep again.