Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another radiator fan question

Old 08-12-2017, 08:52 AM
J^2
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another radiator fan question

My apologies for another post, I have searched the forum, and everything comes "kinda" close, but not really...

2014 Sport, 30k miles (and of course out of warranty): runs "normal" (right between C and H), but at idle once at full temp (drive through, stoplight) darts up to just under the 3/4 hash. Then it appears the high speed fan turns on.

As I understand, there are 2 speeds/controls on the fan - low and high. Cranked it up, popped the hood. The fan blades try to turn, but nothing. I would describe it as a "jiggle". Turned the A/C on, still nothing (so now I'm wondering if my motor completely crapped out). This slight movement of the fan tells me there is something wrong with the motor.

Fuses good, swapped a relay, still nothing (so unless multiple relays are bad, I would assume the relay is good).

At this point, I am thinking it is the motor - but it has never got mud/water in the engine bay (not much of that in Phoenix).

How do I apply volts directly to the fan to see if that is it?

Should I just replace the fan motor at this point?

Thanks in advance - cheers

J^2
Old 08-12-2017, 10:38 AM
J^2
JK Newbie

Default Update...

Unplugged it and fed it some juice right off the battery, no luck.

At this point I have to believe the motor is shot, and the only way to replace is an entire fan assembly for $450....

Any recc's on an aftermarket fan? If I am going to spend $450, I might as well upgrade.....
Old 08-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So a couple bits of information for ya.

First, your fan isn't a 2-speed, it's variable. Jeep switched from a 2-speed to a variable speed in 2012.

Second, the OEM fan will outperform any aftermarket fan you can purchase. To the point that the folks that do V8 conversions use your model of fan. For example, MoTech uses the variable speed fan with their V8 conversions (they do upgrade the radiator though).

I say get the OEM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:43 AM
J^2
JK Newbie

Thanks jedg.

Dumb question - but feeding it directly off of the battery should work as a test, correct?

Knowing it is variable, I wonder why the low end stopped working on me?

guess I will purchase the OEM...thanks for the feedback
Old 08-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by J^2
Thanks jedg.

Dumb question - but feeding it directly off of the battery should work as a test, correct?

Knowing it is variable, I wonder why the low end stopped working on me?

guess I will purchase the OEM...thanks for the feedback
I fed 12V directly to my motor to test it. But, it was a 2011 motor which is really a single speed (they make it a 2-speed by using a voltage divider).

As for why it's not working at a lower voltage, perhaps the motor has some resistance in it now that it can't overcome at a lower voltage but does at a higher voltage. That's only a guess though.

At $450 for the replacement, I'd sure try to do some testing of the motor itself before making the purchase.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:58 AM
J^2
JK Newbie

Thanks....looks like I'm taking out the fan assembly today.

Quick Reply: Another radiator fan question