Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ANOTHER radiator replacement question

Old 11-05-2017, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER radiator replacement question

So like many others here I am needing to replace my radiator on my 07 JKUS with 114K on the clock. My dealer told me when i had my oil changed last week that my coolant was starting to get a little acidic (but oddly enough didnt mention the leaking radiator, lol). As of right now I am only getting a small wet spot under the front end, but not every time I drive it. I know where the leak is, (in the drivers side plastic tank) and everytime I open the radiator cap it is still full to the brim, as is the overflow tank, so I'm appatently not loosing much fluid.

My question is should I do a full sustem flush before replacing it and then start "fresh" or just dump whats in the radiator and hoses and replace?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You should just flush it when you change the radiator. I used maybe a gallon of fluid and water (each) when I did my swap. You end up doing the same with the flush and about the same amount of fluid.

Pro tip- watch the YouTube video on it, I'll find a link if you can't. Also, replace the rubber shield pieces. They're pricey but Steve White Motors had them the cheapest shipped. You'll end up destroying them and make sure they go back in the way they came out (get all of the clips out otherwise you'll fight it.)

You don't have to pull air box (I've got a snorkel so it's tough to do) but you can use a body saw to take off the lower neck and pull it right out.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Don't forget to get the sand out of the bottom of overfill tank from the factory. Just did my recently. Crazy how much sand and dirt is at the bottom.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Changed the radiator in my 09 JKU a while back. Not a big deal. Took about an hour.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by locked&loaded JK
Changed the radiator in my 09 JKU a while back. Not a big deal. Took about an hour.
Did you just pull the hoses and drain the rad and go from there or did you actually empty the whole system(block, heater core, etc)?

Quick Reply: ANOTHER radiator replacement question