JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Anyone have luck with eBay key Fob? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/anyone-have-luck-ebay-key-fob-349758/)

poesdad 03-23-2019 09:21 PM

Anyone have luck with eBay key Fob?

I have found several fobs on eBay and want to see if you guys have been successful in getting them to work.

I have a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara I just bought and there is a warning sticker under the hood that says it has a remote start. However, the seller only had one key and it does not have the little button to activate a remote start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

nthinuf 03-23-2019 10:32 PM

Here is a thread from last week. These flip-fobs have the internals, no need to swap them over from a working key. (if you scroll down, it appends to an older thread with empty fobs that need gut transfers)

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...f-ebay-349494/

Rednroll 03-24-2019 12:59 AM

Based on my experience, I would avoid the Ebay fobs. I originally got a set for $25 and went through all the trouble to get them cut and programmed but learned soon afterwards I was having to replace batteries in them every 2 weeks. So the money I saved, I wasted in battery replacements. I still have those fobs but I only use them as backups and have the batteries sitting outside next to them. To save a few bucks while getting a quality key fob, I would look for a refurbished OEM fob on Ebay. I've gotten a couple of those for $20-$25 each on Ebay, and they work just as well as the new OEMs.

Unfortunately, once you get a replacement key fob since you don't have 2 fobs, you will need to go to a dealership or an auto-locksmith to have the 2nd fob programmed for you. When you have 2 fobs, then you can do the programming yourself in your JK. Purchase fobs with the remote start button. The programming is tied to your VIN and the remote button will work once the fob is programmed, it won't matter that the fob you have now doesn't have a remote start button. That's assuming you have a factory remote start and not an aftermarket. Aftermarket remote starts will typically work by pressing your door lock button 3 times, in which case getting a fob with a remote start button won't work for remote start. So you'll need to determine if you have a factory or aftermarket remote start.

resharp001 03-24-2019 01:16 AM

I did the one nthinuf linked above. It's been working flawlessly for a few weeks. Hardest part was just finding a place to cut it. I like it well enough, so will continue using it. Time will tell if the battery becomes an issue like Rednroll mentioned on his.

poesdad 03-24-2019 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4338708)
I did the one nthinuf linked above. It's been working flawlessly for a few weeks. Hardest part was just finding a place to cut it. I like it well enough, so will continue using it. Time will tell if the battery becomes an issue like Rednroll mentioned on his.

does remote start work?

resharp001 03-24-2019 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by poesdad (Post 4338709)
does remote start work?

Sorry, I don't have that feature so can't advise.

Rednroll 03-24-2019 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by poesdad (Post 4338709)

does remote start work?

That fob doesn't have the button for remote start but again, this will depend on if you have a factory remote start or aftermarket. If you have an aftermarket remote start then that fob should work by pressing the door lock button which is included.

Summary:
Aftermarket Remote Start: Press door lock button 3 times to activate remote start. You should be able to test this with your current fob.
OEM factory remote Start: Press Remote start button 2 times to activate factory remote start.

Pressing door lock button 3 times with a factor remote start will not activate the factory remote start, and Pressing the remote start button 2 times on an aftermarket remote start won't activate an aftermarket remote start.

poesdad 03-24-2019 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rednroll (Post 4338712)
That fob doesn't have the button for remote start but again, this will depend on if you have a factory remote start or aftermarket. If you have an aftermarket remote start then that fob should work by pressing the door look button which is included.

Summary:
Aftermarket Remote Start: Press door lock button 3 times to activate remote start. You should be able to test this with your current fob.
OEM remote Start: Press Remote start button 2 times to activate remote start.

Pressing door lock button 3 times with a factor remote start will not activate the factory remote start, and Pressing the remote start button 2 times on an aftermarket remote start won't work.

sorry, I didn’t see the second part of your post.

I will check with Best Buy tomorrow and see if it is factory. Pressing the button three times didn’t work.

Rednroll 03-24-2019 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by poesdad (Post 4338713)

sorry, I didn’t see the second part of your post.

I will check with Best Buy tomorrow and see if it is factory. Pressing the button three times didn’t work.

If you're checking with Best Buy, shouldn't that tell you it's an aftermarket remote start? Why would you check with Best Buy?
Go to this website and punch in your VIN. It will provide you with a list of options that came on your JK from the factory. Mine came with Remote start from the factory and it shows " Remote Start System" in the list under "Optional Equipment".
https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

poesdad 03-24-2019 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rednroll (Post 4338714)
If you're checking with Best Buy, shouldn't that tell you it's an aftermarket remote start? Why would you check with Best Buy?
Go to this website and punch in your VIN. It will provide you with a list of options that came on your JK from the factory. Mine came with Remote start from the factory and it shows " Remote Start System" in the list under "Optional Equipment".
https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

i will be there anyway tomorrow and the fob doesn’t seem to start it.

I punched the vin in that link and the search button/link does not work.