JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Anyone have proof of higher jku tow capacity outside the USA? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/anyone-have-proof-higher-jku-tow-capacity-outside-usa-226061/)

rob_engineer 04-03-2012 04:23 AM

Anyone have proof of higher jku tow capacity outside the USA?

Lots of threads about the poor JKU tow capacity. Theories about lack of cooling, weak hitch connection, due to it being a convertible, etc. It is also mentioned on many threads that the JKU when in other countries has a higher tow rating. Let's keep this thread about the facts. Does anyone have hard proof of what the jku's are rated for in other countries? Not looking for rumors or supposition, just factual documentation. In particular I am interested in the 2012. I have the max tow package.

Omar Brannstrom 04-03-2012 07:17 AM

Hi

From Sweden

"How many pounds are 3500 kilograms? First take the weight in kilograms and simply multiply it by 2.2"

I have seen in Sweden that 2010 and 2011 unlimited wrangler Sahara with 3.21 gear can take max 3500kg = 7720 pounds

Found out at Jeep USA max tow is 3500 lbs, 3,500 pounds is equivalent to 1590 kilograms and that is very little. Landrover Defender that we have in Sweden have 7720 tow capacity, the same for 2011 wrangler and older in Sweden

In the first batch 2012 we get wranglers with 3.21 gears and the unlimited can take max 1000kg, and that is with a new 5 speed automatic with lower gears and with a stronger motor, very strange with less than 1/3 towing capacity compared to 2011.

Can see it here on page 9 http://ipaper.ipapercms.dk/PDF/SE/JE...ecifikationer/

My Suzuki Jimny weighs 1000 kg and can tow 1000kg and has a 1.3 liter engine.

In the second batch 2012 wranglers that will arrive some time in the summer they will have 3.73 gears and the unlimited can take max 2000kg

Jeep Sweden ordered 3.73 but got only 3.21 from the plant in the the first batch, some made a error.

Germany has the same towing max as Sweden for the Sahara 3.73 gears and pentastar

See here

http://www3.jeep.de/pdf/specs/jeep_w...und_preise.pdf

Did You in US also get less towing capacity with the new 2012 compared to 2011?

rexicon 04-03-2012 07:42 AM

towing 7700lbs behind a jk = fail :doh:

Blade 04-03-2012 09:37 AM

I've pulled a little over 8k and didn't have a problem. Of course the lift kit and the 6-speed matted to the pentastar didn't hurt. The hitch itself didn't budge under the weight.

rob_engineer 04-03-2012 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Blade
I've pulled a little over 8k and didn't have a problem. Of course the lift kit and the 6-speed matted to the pentastar didn't hurt. The hitch itself didn't budge under the weight.

Since we are talking international numbers here, please confirm your 8k is in pounds or kilograms. Also, let us know what you towed, how far, and on what type of land or elevation. Thanks.

bowerss2 04-03-2012 10:41 AM

I towed a ford bronco (about 4200lbs) on a car hauler (about 2200lbs) across most of michigan.

So thats about 6400lbs on the highway no problem Rubicon unlimited with 6 spd. I am not going to lie it was a dog but it wasnt bad. Watching your tongue weight is more important.

drschem 04-03-2012 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by rob_engineer (Post 2940595)
Lots of threads about the poor JKU tow capacity. Theories about lack of cooling, weak hitch connection, due to it being a convertible, etc. It is also mentioned on many threads that the JKU when in other countries has a higher tow rating. Let's keep this thread about the facts. Does anyone have hard proof of what the jku's are rated for in other countries? Not looking for rumors or supposition, just factual documentation. In particular I am interested in the 2012. I have the max tow package.

Jeep only rates it's hitch as Class II - meaning maximum of 3500#. This might be due to the way the hitch mounts to the rear frame cross rail and not to the side rails. or it might just be a wimpy CYA to avoid lawsuits. For short hauls around town, I wouldn't worry too much. The rating has to include what wound happen in an accident and I don't think that the Jeep with 8,000# behind would fair too well!

Blade 04-03-2012 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by rob_engineer (Post 2941119)
Since we are talking international numbers here, please confirm your 8k is in pounds or kilograms. Also, let us know what you towed, how far, and on what type of land or elevation. Thanks.

It was a 10x20 flatbed, heavy equipment trailer loaded with furniture. It weighed in at 8200 lbs. Just had to ease out on the clutch and it pulled it fine. I went about 30miles on flat land with very few climbs. I would say I could have made it up a hill fairly easy though. Just downshift and get it.

hombredelassrtas 04-03-2012 02:20 PM

Any higher rated hitches for the jk? I am sure the 12U could tow more but the hitch rating would have me more concerned. Snap that off and there goes your weekend.:doh:

AJMBLAZER 04-04-2012 07:52 AM

There's several Class III (and I think I saw a Class V) hitches out there. These are full replacement hitches, not the bolt on tubes like the factory hitch.