Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!

Old 05-15-2014, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!

For 2014, Chrysler made a change to a part called the "oil filter adapter" which sits on top of the engine, under the intake manifold. There are now a parade of people with various Chrysler vehicles that use the 3.6L reporting that the new part cracks, causing a major oil leak, potentially a fire, and can cause your engine to be drained of all oil.

If you have had an oil leak, and the dealership told you the issue was the oil filter adapter, the oil cooler or the oil cooler cover, post up here. We are going to try to get pressure on Chrysler to at least redesign the part.

Part number is 68105583AA and it applies only to 2014 3.6L Chrysler V6 engines, at least so far. Similar issues have been reported with the new 3.2L V6 used in the Cherokee, but it apparently has a different part number.

This is a MAJOR issue if you own a 2014 Wrangler. There is no way to know if/when the part will crack, and if it does, it is not a trail repair. The adapter is buried under the intake manifold, and ever getting to it with some putty would be nearly impossible. You had better have extra oil with you at all times if you are trail riding a 2014 Wrangler.

Post here if you have the issue, and go to safercar.gov and file a complaint. If Chrysler doesn't fix this issue, you will never feel safe wheeling your 2014 Jeep in the backcountry. They need to fix this, NOW.

ALL 3.6L vehicles are affected, so if you know anyone with a Challenger/RAM 1500/Caravan/300/Durango or any other 2014 Chrysler with the 3.6L Pentastar, let them know to be constantly checking for oil leaks.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG! WE R GOING TO DIE! No...wait...I have a 13.... YOUR GOING TO DIE!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

First post, huh? Fishy, fishy...

Last edited by Gr808JK; 05-15-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MoyDib
OMG! WE R GOING TO DIE! No...wait...I have a 13.... YOUR GOING TO DIE!
Hahahaha!!!! But, if it will leak out, what good is carrying extra oil?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gr808JK
First post, huh? Fishy, fishy...
What's fishy about it? Google around on other Wrangler sites, Cherokee sites, even the NHTSA problem database.

First try to google up ONE report of this part failing in 2011-2013, in any vehicle. There is not even one.

Then, look around and see that there are at least a dozen 2014 Wranglers, a couple of Cherokees, and a Durango with this issue, and they are still making the 2014's. Most 2014's have less than 5000 miles on them, and haven't even been through a hot summer driving season, which is hell on plastics. I guarantee before two summers are over, there will be hundreds of people posting about this issue, which of course translates into thousands of people with the problem, since only a small fraction of people would post about such a thing.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, basically, you are saying that 15-16 or so failures out of 10's of thousands of 2014 3.6L Pentastars? I say....NOT BAD! Actually pretty damn good! That's a better success rate than NASA.
The following users liked this post:
bvargin5 (03-23-2018)
Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Collyn
So, basically, you are saying that 15-16 or so failures out of 10's of thousands of 2014 3.6L Pentastars? I say....NOT BAD! Actually pretty damn good! That's a better success rate than NASA.

1) There are 15 INTERNET POSTS where people were pissed enough to take the time to post that they had the failure. This is a tiny fraction of the actual number of occurrences. The 2014 model year isn't even done yet, most people have barely driven their 2014s, and they have not driven in hot weather in most of the country.

2) As I pointed out, there were ZERO failures of this part 2011-2013, and there is no reason the part should fail now, other than poor design or poor manufacture. It has no mechanical stresses on it, at all, period. The reason for the cracks must be thermal. As anyone who knows plastics will know, heat is the enemy of plastic, and if there are people with just a few thousand miles seeing this issue, five or ten years from now this will be a well known black eye on Chrysler's face. If you own a 2014 and go to sell it, people will avoid it like the plague unless Chrysler comes out with a new part, and does a recall. Who wants to risk a major oil leak on a long trip or a backcountry excursion?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll never feel safe wheeling again! I'll have to carry a spare engine from now on, you never know when something may break. Anybody know of a spare engine mount that replaces the spare tire?

-Deke
Old 05-16-2014, 10:08 AM
JK Junkie

I was once on the trail with a group a fees years back. A tie rod snapped on one guys rig. We could have complained, we could have said screw it and left for the day. Instead, we sacrificed a breaker bar, dismounted everyone's batteries, cut a few jumper cables up, wired the batteries together and welded the breaker bar onto the toe rod. It lasted the day, got him home and he graciously bought everyone their replacements. Nobody wants to break down off road, but the collective skill of the group persevered. It's all in perspective. Do you identify problems? Which, when they happen, is merely stating the obvious. Or, do you find solutions?

If you are upset with jeep this much, sell your rig, buy something else, stay off the trail.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's that bad, they'll have a recall.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!