Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!

Old 07-10-2017, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 JKU Automatic with about 40k miles. Noticed what I thought was a transmission leak due to where it was dripping from the underside, but it was the oil filter housing as per the dealer. Getting fixed tomorrow under the powertrain warranty.

Was an interesting weekend as the wife and I put on the soft top for the first time since we got it new 3 years ago. Then we drove to Dirt Farm brewery which has a very steep hill climb up to it. About halfway up, we smelled some type of oil burning.

I would also like to add that the dealer (Leesburg, VA) said that the problem was caused by 3rd party shops performing my oil change.... lol cause I told them I got the oil change done at a local shop that's rated highly.

Last edited by lysol; 07-10-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well - mine just crapped the bed.
I'm in Moab on vacation - got 5 minutes into the first trail and smelled burning oil. Wtf??? Just drove 1,000 for this to happen?
I'm having a local shop get the parts in and do the work. I didn't think I'd have a chance with warranty as I have 80k but now you guys got me thinking.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Man - glad I read this thread. Almost paid $700 to have it replaced in Moab. Drove to grand junction jeep and they're replacing it under warranty as I type. They fit me into their busy day since I'm from out of town and stranded. Very cool!
I thought with my mods and 83k miles - there's no chance but it wasn't even a question.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sea bass
Man - glad I read this thread. Almost paid $700 to have it replaced in Moab. Drove to grand junction jeep and they're replacing it under warranty as I type. They fit me into their busy day since I'm from out of town and stranded. Very cool!
I thought with my mods and 83k miles - there's no chance but it wasn't even a question.
Awesome that the grand junction dealer got you in and honored the warranty. I love to hear when dealers do that type of stuff as it is so rare these days.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default oil leak

Hey guys,

I know I dont post much in here, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I am going through this very problem as we speak. The dealership says its covered under warranty and im not exactly sure which parts they are replacing,but I will keep you all informed as I hope it is resolved in the next day or so.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Ahhhhh yeah! Hefty Smurf is just shy of 65k miles and leaking oil like crazy! Definitely seems to be the filter housing. Blah.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default Same issue oil cooler filter leak

As I work in Windsor ontario chrysler plant there are a ton of jeep owners in this city being an auto town. I was warned of the issue on this model year. Reason it might have taken longer is because my jeep is a fun drive car mostly a summer vehicle so I use it once every few weeks in winter so it keeps brakes from rust or any other possible things. I do start it every few days in winter tho even if i don't drive it or keep it in garage in extreme cold temps or snow storms. Other than that it's a 2014 wrangler sahara unlimited. Only about 17000 miles / 28000 kms. Today was the day I take it to work and it blew out all its oil on way to work so obviously I had to call in work to take an unpaid day off. When i got jeep towed home is when I seen the mass pool of oil in driveway where jeep was earlier. I never thought of looking for a pool of oil everytime I take a newer vehicle for a ride lol. After research on here thank you I followed the leak to the same as I was warned by many at work and now here. I'd say thus could be very dangerous issue as I've had a gm catch fire while driving as eventually it was recalled from head gasket oil leak onto exaust. Car was a write off gm did nothing about it either.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

This is my first post to this forum and the topic is the reason I joined.
Add my JKU to the list of cracked oil filter housing replacements.
I was unaware of the frequent problems on the 2014 Wranglers when
I took it to the dealer to be fixed. After enabling my extended warranty
and $100 less in my pocket the issue was taken care of in one day.
JeepCares, on a popular social media site took interest in this case and
contacted my dealer where the repairs were made. The dealer then contacted
me and reimbursed my deductible since it was obviously a manufacture warrantied
item.
Has this part been upgraded due to the frequency of problems?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if the replacement parts have been upgraded to fix the problem? I haven't had any issues yet but I only have 11,000 miles on my jeep.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our '13 is cracked.
Originally Posted by MoyDib
OMG! WE R GOING TO DIE! No...wait...I have a 13.... YOUR GOING TO DIE!

Quick Reply: ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!