Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deke
I'll never feel safe wheeling again! I'll have to carry a spare engine from now on, you never know when something may break. Anybody know of a spare engine mount that replaces the spare tire?

-Deke
Now that right there is down right funny.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

No leaks here!! But I'll be sure to send up the bat signal when it starts....
Old 05-16-2014, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my 2012 just now... Just in case. Also sold my wife's Chevy in case it's infectious.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Collyn
15 internet posts MEANS 15 FAILURES. everybody knows the first thing someone does is bitch to the internet world about a problem.

What happened to the days when men had "a pair" and complained to their wives first? Or the dealership that sold them the "ticking time bomb"? Not anymore. First thing...start a thread about it on every relating forum in the world. Hell, for all we know, you probably started 15 threads about it on separate forums and now it seems like "15 related issues". Haha.

But, if it is a problem, I'm glad. The 14 owners should have to go through the some issues like the 12 owners have. Haha. It's only fair.
Thanks for bringing up the cylinder head issue, because it is a good analogy for what is happening with this part.

Pentastars were installed in Chrysler vehicles beginning in 2011 model year, and the head issue was there from the start. So all the way back in the fall of 2010, people starting having the head issue. Of course, it didn't show up in Wranglers until late 2011, for the 2012 model year.

You don't start seeing any significant internet traffic on the issue until July/August of 2012, 18 months after bad heads were shipped.

Everyone knows the 2012s have bad heads. People avoid buying used 2012's and even 2013's because of the issue. Guess what? It only affects .5% of the engines. One-half of one percent. And yet the perception is bad enough that ALL 2012's are avoided unless they have a replacement head. Sucks to be a 2012 owner. I specifically avoided looking at used 2012's/13's because I simply didn't want to deal with that.

Now, we have IMHO an even worse issue with 2014, because it doesn't throw a CEL, and it can leave you stuck on the trail, unlike the head issue, which never stranded anyone. I talked to the service advisor when I had mine replaced. The part is backordered, and the only reason they could fix mine was because they pre-ordered some weeks ago to have them in stock when people have the issue.

You guys seem to be in denial, and that is fine. I'm not even going to post about this issue on here anymore, because soon, it will be like the head issue, and people who have the problem will be posting. Unfortunately, the 2014s have now been pasted with the same stigma as the 2012-13 Jeeps as far as having a major flaw in the 3.6L.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

In all seriousness, I get were co-utah is coming from. If I was having an issue like this on my brand new rig, I'd be pissed too.

But give it time to play out. All manufacturers have issues of some sort, whether or not this is systemic- we'll just have to wait and see.

A year from now, co-utah will be either a prophet or just a guy with some bad luck.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:50 AM
JK Junkie

Firstly. 2011's don't have the pentameter 3.6. Secondly, .5% of any product failure is good. I have a 2012 and don't care about the head issue. It's still a better track record than my land rover. Thirdly, if it is a 2014, get the dealer to fix it under warranty when it happens.
Owners with 2012's will only think it sucks when they try to resale. I don't intend to sell mine for at least 10 years, if ever. Falling back to the resale issue, if a '12 has a head issue, it will most likely happen early on, or not at all. By the time most resale their rig, it won't be an issue as much.

If you are really this concerned, equip yourself and buy the parts proactively, or, take it in, have the dealer replace it now, and be done with it. Just be willing to pony up. Unfortunately, I had to do this with my land rover. There was a known, expensive part that would fail prematurely. I did not want to be stranded and knew that land rover had a replacement part out that was revised. I coughed up $900 to have the dealer install it and they gave me the old parts (as I always request). Problem solved.

When it comes to recalls, there has to be a certain number of units and the potential for hazard to the occupants or other drivers. If not, it typically becomes a service bulletin and it gets fixed on a service maintenance interval, or when it eventually breaks. Back to my land rover. They put bad head gaskets in a number of units in model years 2000-2002. Mine was one of them. Mount side if the warranty, land rover still covered it.

I hate to see how worked up you get over something real serious in life. It's a vehicle dude, relax. It is eventually going to break down. EVERY vehicle does, on some level. If it catches fire, pull over, get out and call 911. Insurance will cover the vehicle. Problem solved. If you are on the trail, do the same thing, only you might be walking for a while. If it causes a forest fire, all your posts, and hopefully attempts documented to have the dealer fix it, will place MOPAR responsible for the fire.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

My 14 just got towed to the dealership, and they just called to tell me it was the oil filter connector. As long as they fix it im happy
Old 05-17-2014, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

I have close to 14,000 miles on my 2014. Just checked it. Looks fine to me.

Only problem I've had is keeping sand out of my carpet.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Jesus, Joseph, and Mary. Lots of people in here were quick to get to their pitchforks and torches. I understand OP came on a little strong, but take it easy.

He's just trying to provide the forum with what he sees as pertinent information. He doesn't want someone to end up on the trail with a puddle of oil wondering what's going on, and why their engine is completely seized up.

Thank you OP for the information. Next time though, bring it down from 11 to maybe a 6 or 7. Not everything requires a hammer.

I'll have a 2015 Rubi X on order here in the next couple weeks, so I'll be keeping a watchful eye on my oil levels.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

On a brand new jeep i don't blame the OP.

Last edited by nicksabellajk; 05-17-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!