Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Auto trans stuck in 2nd

Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto trans stuck in 2nd

Second issue dealership wasn't able to produce to investigate. On occasion, the JK with auto transmission seems to start in 2nd and won't auto shift or down at any speed. Stopping, putting in park and restarting seems to resolve the issue. Anyone else have this intermittent issue? Computer bug? Bigger problem?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Try This

1. Your JK can only be started in "P" or "N". It can't start in"2"
2. If it shows "2" on the dash board after you pull the shift lever down to "D", push the shift lever over to the right and hold it there for 2 or 3 seconds. It should return to "D"
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Back in the day, driving an automatic in reverse would fix issues like this. Hey, it's worth a try.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks DesertFox. I misspoke. I start the truck in park, put it into reverse to back out if driveway, then shift into Drive. The truck feels a little sluggish, and then I notice that the truck doesn't automatically shift no matter how fast I go. I wind up pulling over, putting into park and turning it off. When I restart and put back into drive, it seems to fix itself and shift normally. It's not a big deal and only happens occasionally. I just wondered if it was a symptom of a bigger potential problem. Knowing sooner would be better with the power train warranty expiring soon. Although not even sure the power train warranty even covers the transmission. Anyhow just wanted to clarify. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

My 2010 had the same problem,there is a tsb on this take it to the dealer
Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Check one more thing

1. The 120 page User Guide you received with your new JK is inadequate in many areas, and auto transmission procedures is just one.
2. That being said, place the Owner's Information CD you also received with your new JK in your CD reader and when the first screen comes up make the following menu choices: (1) Owner's Manual,
(2) Wrangler, (3) Starting and Operating, (4) Automatic Transmission, (5) Five-Speed Automatic Transmission - - - Then scroll down to Electronic Range Select (ERS) Operation.
3. It is possible to accidentally select a gear other than "D" when moving the shift lever from any other position to "D" Read this section a couple of times.
4. If this doesn't solve your problem, head to the dealer and let them figure it out.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Charlesvar
Thanks DesertFox. I misspoke. I start the truck in park, put it into reverse to back out if driveway, then shift into Drive. The truck feels a little sluggish, and then I notice that the truck doesn't automatically shift no matter how fast I go. I wind up pulling over, putting into park and turning it off. When I restart and put back into drive, it seems to fix itself and shift normally. It's not a big deal and only happens occasionally. I just wondered if it was a symptom of a bigger potential problem. Knowing sooner would be better with the power train warranty expiring soon. Although not even sure the power train warranty even covers the transmission. Anyhow just wanted to clarify. Thanks for the suggestions.
Get this resolved? Just happened to me. Turning off and back on seems to have fixed it. Tranny fluid fine.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

This has been happening to me too. Exactly as described. Starts off in 2nd and then will not allow me to shift gears manually. My Jeep is a 2012 JKU auto 3:73 and it has become increasingly annoying. It seems as though it is going into limp mode but I have not changed out the gears. I have to reset it by placing it in park and turning it off and on. It is schedualled for service this monday. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by fino; 11-14-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

Still no resolve from the dealer. They said it was fixed then it happened as soon as I drove it off the lot. Took it back to the service advisor and he said they would have to take another look at it. Even let him drive it in limp mode. Just to be clear, I am not bumping the auto transmission into 2nd, its in Drive but will only run in second gear. If you try to shift it manualy it does nothing. Just stays in drive and only allows 2nd gear. Will not shift.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fino
Still no resolve from the dealer. They said it was fixed then it happened as soon as I drove it off the lot. Took it back to the service advisor and he said they would have to take another look at it. Even let him drive it in limp mode. Just to be clear, I am not bumping the auto transmission into 2nd, its in Drive but will only run in second gear. If you try to shift it manualy it does nothing. Just stays in drive and only allows 2nd gear. Will not shift.
i have an 08 w/ 168000 mi on it -this prob started at abt 30k and became more of a prob as time went on until 165k (last mo) then it couldnt be corrected by restart or disconn batt. troubcode p0845/hyd press ck- the prob is a solinoid pack replaceable w/o removing trans but they have to drop exhaust which requires remvng inner fender wells. cost me $655 now trans leaks 1 qt/3 days atf4 @ $7 qt. obviously @ 168k this aint my 1st rodeo w/ dealer. i got lots of stories about whats to come for ya. mike

Quick Reply: Auto trans stuck in 2nd