Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto Transmission Fluid change/flush?

Old 06-09-2017, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Auto Transmission Fluid change/flush?

I currently have 132K miles on my 3.8L with Auto Trans. Maintenance schedule calls for a Trans fluid change at 100K miles, so I'm a bit overdue. Currently, not experiencing any trans problems.

I'm thinking about taking it to a shop to have this done or doing it myself, but I'm a little confused of what needs to be done or what to ask for. I've seen videos of where the bottom trans cover is removed, fluid is drained and then then the bottom trans filter is changed. However, my understanding also is that this does not fully change the trans fluid because there is still a large amount of fluid in the trans bell housing with the gears and torque converter, etc. I'ld like to get a better understanding of what needs to be done so it gets done according to the expectation of the maintenance schedule and done properly. Essentially, getting the fluid to a new condition as it came from the factory is what I'm thinking my goal should be. Anyone have any tips/advise of what needs to be done? What I should ask the shop to do if I go that route? I'ld like to avoid going to a dealership unless absolutely necessary, because my experience with them, in most cases my vehicle tends to come out in worse condition than before I brought it in, while over paying for that type of service at the same time.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Well, I'll subscribe to another one of your threads, cuz I've started contemplating this myself. I only have 64k miles on mine, but my owner's manual has me questioning the REAL timing of a change. I've contemplated how much off roading one has to do to be thrown in the the 60k mile interval vs. the 120k interval for a strictly on-road non-commercially used jeep.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	634
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	672394

Interesting that you would like to stay away from the dealer for this service. I was actually thinking the opposite, and that non-dealer mechanic is more apt to not do the service by the book. I've questioned if this is just a drain/refill, or a total flush. I like to do just about all my own maintenance, but this hasn't seemed like a job I want to do. For whatever reason, I'm just not comfortable with the idea of messing with my auto tranny. That might just be from having limited exposure to messing with them in general though.

I'll sit back and watch the conversation.....given your mileage, this will be one I'll observe you tackle first. LOL.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

While I go to the dealer for all service just for my convenience, I've seen some things where they do a better job than I could do myself. For example, on previous vehicles watching all the bad stuff come out with their coolant flush machine that a simple draining and hose flush wouldn't get. If they do a transmission flush like the coolant flush, I'd sure have them do it.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my first change at about 50k. Big tires and didn't have a trans cooler yet. Felt like I should do it before another hot summer came. So now I have fresh fluid/ filter and a large aux cooler.

Some say if you wait until high mileage to do the change that you should only drain the pan and add a new filter. Something to do with completely fresh fluid will do something with the gears/ and what not inside. I can't explain it but I'm sure someone will. Essentially the transmission is use to the thicker/ older fluid.

I had the dealer do mine because the pan does not have a drain plug. Pain the ass dealing with the fluid coming out all over if your not super careful.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
I did my first change at about 50k. Big tires and didn't have a trans cooler yet. Felt like I should do it before another hot summer came. So now I have fresh fluid/ filter and a large aux cooler.

Some say if you wait until high mileage to do the change that you should only drain the pan and add a new filter. Something to do with completely fresh fluid will do something with the gears/ and what not inside. I can't explain it but I'm sure someone will. Essentially the transmission is use to the thicker/ older fluid.

I had the dealer do mine because the pan does not have a drain plug. Pain the ass dealing with the fluid coming out all over if your not super careful.
I heard this as well, and can't explain it either.

I have a hard time trusting the dealerships. My last visit to the dealership went like this. Wife bought a new 2015 Renegade. Brought it in for the 1st 1 year inclusive oil changes and 2 identified Warranty problems.

Had to bring it in a total of 3 times.

Original repairs requested.
1. Change Oil
2. A/C blows out warm air on hot days
3. MySky roof makes annoying rattle sound on warm days

After 3 visits and them keeping the car for over a week on the last visit, here was the outcome.
1. Oil changed, but oil spilled all over the top of the brand new engine, mechanic didn't even attempt to clean the spillage.
2. They updated the HVAC with a s/w update, A/C still blows out warm air on hot days.
3. They replaced the weather seal, and stated they varified the problem was fixed. Driving out of dealership lot, the 1st bump I hit, I verified the same problem still existed.
4. They updated the trans with a s/w update for a known trans problem. The accelerator pedal now has dead spots when accelerating from a stop until getting up to speed, so don't dare pull out in traffic and rely on the acceleration. Also, now when we slow down, there is hard downshifting. As you're slowing down to a stop, and just about to come to a complete stop, when you reach 2MPH, the trans suddenly shifts from 2nd into 1st where the Rene jerks to a stop.

So not only did they not fix any of my original warranty repairs after 3 separate visits, but they added one, and f'd up doing a simple oil change. If they can't take enough care to even do an oil change right, I'm currently having a hard time trusting they'll get a trans fluid change right. I'm now going to visit another dealership for the Renegade. If things don't progress in a forward direction this next time, I'm gonna start looking into exercising some Lemon Laws.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-09-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I currently have 132K miles on my 3.8L with Auto Trans. Maintenance schedule calls for a Trans fluid change at 100K miles, so I'm a bit overdue. Currently, not experiencing any trans problems.

I'm thinking about taking it to a shop to have this done or doing it myself, but I'm a little confused of what needs to be done or what to ask for. I've seen videos of where the bottom trans cover is removed, fluid is drained and then then the bottom trans filter is changed. However, my understanding also is that this does not fully change the trans fluid because there is still a large amount of fluid in the trans bell housing with the gears and torque converter, etc. I'ld like to get a better understanding of what needs to be done so it gets done according to the expectation of the maintenance schedule and done properly. Essentially, getting the fluid to a new condition as it came from the factory is what I'm thinking my goal should be. Anyone have any tips/advise of what needs to be done? What I should ask the shop to do if I go that route? I'ld like to avoid going to a dealership unless absolutely necessary, because my experience with them, in most cases my vehicle tends to come out in worse condition than before I brought it in, while over paying for that type of service at the same time.
Yes, you are a little late. However, if the fluid still looks good, and you have never severely overheated it, a regular dropped-pan fluid/filter change will be fine. Do the next one early, maybe 30,000 to 40,000 miles. From then on, I would change the fluid/filter every 50,000 miles or so. These are my own numbers. I just can't see making a habit of letting it go as long as the owner's manual says.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Yes, you are a little late. However, if the fluid still looks good, and you have never severely overheated it, a regular dropped-pan fluid/filter change will be fine. Do the next one early, maybe 30,000 to 40,000 miles. From then on, I would change the fluid/filter every 50,000 miles or so. These are my own numbers. I just can't see making a habit of letting it go as long as the owner's manual says.
Thanks Ron, I've seen that done and it doesn't look too difficult. Just need to measure how much fluid is drained and replace with same amount. I'm planning a trip to Silver Lake sand dunes and would like to get this done before that trip, to avoid any trans overheating since I'll be wheeling in hot sand for most of the day. So far, I don't think I've experienced any over heats.

What about types of fluid? I was thinking of going with a synthetic fluid, but when doing just the bottom pan, then I'm mixing synth with the older OEM fluid. Any concerns doing that? Or should I just stick with the OEM stuff when replacing fluid?
Old 06-09-2017, 07:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Thanks Ron, I've seen that done and it doesn't look too difficult. Just need to measure how much fluid is drained and replace with same amount. I'm planning a trip to Silver Lake sand dunes and would like to get this done before that trip, to avoid any trans overheating since I'll be wheeling in hot sand for most of the day. So far, I don't think I've experienced any over heats.

What about types of fluid? I was thinking of going with a synthetic fluid, but when doing just the bottom pan, then I'm mixing synth with the older OEM fluid. Any concerns doing that? Or should I just stick with the OEM stuff when replacing fluid?
Use only ATF+4. It is synthetic. Below is a list of licensed brands.

Regarding overheating the transmission...Do you have an aux transmission cooler?
[TABLE="class: MsoNormalTable, width: 100"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 33%"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Please note Licensed ATF+4[SUP]®[/SUP] Brands have been updated as of December 2015.

Advance Auto Parts ATF+4®
Amalie ATF+4®
AutoPride ATF+4®
Auto Extra ATF+4®
AutoZone ATF+4®
Carquest ATF+4®
Castrol ATF+4®
Castrol Transmax +4 ATF+4®
Castrol Transmax ATF+4®
Chevron ATF+4®
CITGO Transgard ATF+4®
Federated Auto Parts ATF+4®
Great Wall ATF+4®
Havoline ATF+4®
MAG 1 ATF+4®
Mobil ATF+4®
Mopar ATF+4®
Motomaster ATF+4®
Motorlife ATF+4®
NAPA ATF+4®
Northland ATF+4®
O’Reilly ATF+4®
Parts Master ATF+4®
Parts Plus ATF+4®
Pennzoil ATF+4®
Pennzoil Platinum ATF+4®
Petro-Canada ATF+4®
Prime Guard ATF+4®
Proline ATF+4®
Pronto ATF+4®
Pure Guard ATF+4®
Quaker State ATF+4®
Rallye ATF+4®
Ravenol ATF+4®
Sinopec ATF+4®
STP ATF+4®
Super Tech ATF+4®
Tutela Transmission Force4 ATF+4®

Value Tech ATF+4®
Valvoline ATF+4®
Valvoline PRO ATF+4®
Wolf's Head ATF+4®
XCEL ATF+4®

The pan bolts that are obstructed by the exhaust pipe are hard to remove, and even harder to install.
I replaced mine with these cap screws. The ball-end Allen wrench makes it so you don't have to have a straight shot at the screws.

Make sure when you remove the old filter, the o-ring comes out with it.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-09-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This 100%. I had the dealer drop the pan and change the filter. Made a noticeable difference in shifting smoothness. Way over priced but I throw them some business to grease the wheels for my lifetime powertrain warranty. I just give them a few jobs like this one which would be a mess to try on my own.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EHarris
This 100%. I had the dealer drop the pan and change the filter. Made a noticeable difference in shifting smoothness. Way over priced but I throw them some business to grease the wheels for my lifetime powertrain warranty. I just give them a few jobs like this one which would be a mess to try on my own.
I normally just clamp a 5/16 hose to both the radiator in/out and flush it out to a 5 gallon bucket there (till the new fluid start showing), but your so right. I have a few recalls pending, like the passenger air bags for 1 of 3. PS: I just dont trust anyone working on my rig

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Fluid change/flush?