JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Automatic Transmission Gasket (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/automatic-transmission-gasket-83556/)

yellow08rubicon 04-27-2009 01:04 AM

Automatic Transmission Gasket

Does anyone know if they make a gasket for the auto trans oil pan? I called a Jeep dealer today and they told me it was just RTV. I used that on my trans oil pan when I changed my filter the last time cause thats what was on it already. It has never stopped leaking since. I would just rather use a gasket if one is available, I have more faith in them than RTV. I had a lot of problems with the exhaust when I had to disconnect it to get the pan off and I am only going to attempt it one more time. After that I will just carry some trans fluid with me and let it leak.

TINMAN080 04-27-2009 08:22 AM

Make sure your pan is perfectly clean and dry and the lip flange on the tranny case is the same. Apply your bead of RTV evenly around the pan flange making sure you have CIRCLED each bolt hole. If you don't seal off the bolt holes the tranny fluid will leak thru the theads. READ the RTV tube directions, some advise assembling while wet, some advise a skin-off period before assembling. RTV WILL NOT bond to old RTV, if there is the slightest film of old sealer the pan will leak. Take your time, clean it like you are going to eat off it, and follow the instructions- also seal off the bolt holes with that circle of RTV....:D

JeffD 04-27-2009 09:26 AM

I had my tranny serviced and they first put a gasket on it. Leaked for three weeks, took it back and they tossed the gasket and used a special RTV (actually a FoMoCo product) and it has been tight ever since.

RedneckJeep 04-27-2009 10:21 AM

Get some gasket material and make one.

TINMAN080 04-27-2009 04:00 PM

Redneck is correct, back 30 years ago we would get gasket material in sheets, rubber-impregnated, paper or cork, depending on the intended usage. You can lay the gasket material over the area you need a gasket made for, keeping it in place by cutting a couple of bolt holes to keep the material from moving around. Take a small ball peen hammer and tap the paper lightly over where it crosses the sharp edge of the part you are making the gasket for, and pretty soon you have a perfectly shaped clean gasket cut.:thumbsup:

jeeper93436 04-27-2009 04:26 PM

some chrysler trans pans don't like gaskets because the pan is smooth where the gasket rides. most trans pans have a little ridge on the surface where the gasket seals. if you do use a gasket dont overtighten the bolts because thats how they leak. i woul rec. using'' THE RIGHT STUFF'' black rtv. the right stuff is the actual name of the rtv. its expensive compared to regular rtv but its better than doing it twice.

ronjenx 04-27-2009 05:34 PM

I recently installed my pan as described in post 2, above. No leak at all.
It's a matter of doing it correctly.
I believe a gasket in this application is not the way to go. If you make one and use it, keep us posted on how it works.

yellow08rubicon 04-27-2009 08:24 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback. I am a little skeptical about using a gasket now. I live in Germany so there are a few problems I have that most people living in America don't have. I don't have a big selection of RTV and I don't have the time to let the RTV set before re-filling the Transmission. I have to do all my work in a shop that the Army provides us but we have to pay by the hour to use. What do you all recommend for the time I should let the RTV set before re-filling the Transmission? I am in the states right now doing some training so I will be able to pick up so good RTV before heading back.

jeeper93436 04-27-2009 11:23 PM

if you use The Right Suff it should only need about 20 min. you also want to make sure the pan and tranny are clean and dry. dont go too crazy when aplying the RTV.

yellow08rubicon 04-27-2009 11:41 PM

Cool, I can work with that.