Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Axle bearings = wheel bearings

Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle bearings = wheel bearings

Hey all. My first issue w/ my 08 JKU. Getting a hum / growl from drivetrain and dealer says its bad wheel bearings (only have 38k on the odo). Wants to replace under extended warranty which has a $100 deductable.

BUT, shouldnt this be covered by my lifetime powertrain warranty? That covers axle bearings, but are they the same as wheel bearings? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are inner bearings and outer bearings. The axle bearings would be the inner set, near the third member.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr808JK
Hey all. My first issue w/ my 08 JKU. Getting a hum / growl from drivetrain and dealer says its bad wheel bearings (only have 38k on the odo). Wants to replace under extended warranty which has a $100 deductable.

BUT, shouldnt this be covered by my lifetime powertrain warranty? That covers axle bearings, but are they the same as wheel bearings? Thanks in advance for the help.
If it's the front hub unit bearing you are talking about, my local dealer confirmed it is not covered under the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If it's the front hub unit bearing you are talking about, my local dealer confirmed it is not covered under the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.
x2, hub bearings are not covered, but the good thing is they are pretty easy to replace, if you can do brakes your are only 2 steps away from replacing a wheeling bearing.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noxian
x2, hub bearings are not covered, but the good thing is they are pretty easy to replace, if you can do brakes your are only 2 steps away from replacing a wheeling bearing.
I completely agree with this as I have replaced a rear bearing and have removed the front as well. That said, for a $100.00 deductible, let them do it, but ask to see your stock parts (just to confirm the work that was done). To do the rear, you need a bearing, seal, and possibly a new retainer. That will run you close to 100 before labor and you really need a press to get it on. The front bearing is one piece (where the wheel studs are mounted on) and it runs for more than $100.0 by itself before labor and it isn't hard, but messy and kind of a pain to install.

So, with all that. If you only need to pay $100, I would go that route!

Josh
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Infinity

So, with all that. If you only need to pay $100, I would go that route!

Josh
Agreed for sure
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I read up that replacing the hub bearings wasn't too bad, just didn't know if it was the same as the axle bearings. Thanks guys for clarifying. I'll have the dealer do it for the deductible since it's only $100 and confirm parts. Appreciate the advice
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM
JK Freak

Anyone get denied warranty on bearings or other drivetrain issues because wheel spacers and/or 2.5" lift? I have Spidertrax spacers along with a TF 2.5" coil lift and I am noticing a humm sound from the rear of the Jeep, but only when the accelerator is pressed and it starts at around 10 mph. I dismissed the possibility of tire noise because I only hear it while accelerating.

Quick Reply: Axle bearings = wheel bearings