Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Axle joints and axle seals

Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle joints and axle seals

I had my two front axle joints replaced 2 weeks ago by a local Jeep dealer. Today when I was getting my tires balanced at Mr. Tire the guy said my left front axle seal was leaking. After checking on my own, it was. My question to you guys (vs. me relying on the dealer) is if this could be a result of them replacing the axle joints. Do you have to do both? Would they have had to mess with the seals when replacing the joints?

I want to sound like I know from a reliable source before I try to blame the dealership. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

It's very common for the non-leaking seals to start leaking after the axle shaft has been removed and reinstalled.

It could be a matter of technique, or just aged seals.
Sometimes, new seals will leak after axle shaft installation, though.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could also just be some excess fluid left in the tube still...

My friend had no leaks, and changed his ball joints. After he was done he had an axle seal leak n they needed to be changed.
The seals can get damaged with axle shaft removal/install.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

It seems that Carmax is going to cover it under their 30-day warranty. While technically the warranty was up on Saturday the 20th, they weren't open for service that day so she said I'm fine

Either way, it sounds like the Jeep dealership didn't mess it up by doing a bad job I suppose.

I do wonder though if they duped me into the axle joints. They said they were very VERY rusty and could be a problem. And, that this was a normal wear and tear type thing so it wouldn't be a warranty type repair.

Oh well, too late now I guess if they did...
Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by rubi3
It seems that Carmax is going to cover it under their 30-day warranty. While technically the warranty was up on Saturday the 20th, they weren't open for service that day so she said I'm fine

Either way, it sounds like the Jeep dealership didn't mess it up by doing a bad job I suppose.

I do wonder though if they duped me into the axle joints. They said they were very VERY rusty and could be a problem. And, that this was a normal wear and tear type thing so it wouldn't be a warranty type repair.

Oh well, too late now I guess if they did...
I don't know if you have the lifetime powertrain warranty, but the seals are covered under that.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't know if you have the lifetime powertrain warranty, but the seals are covered under that.
I guess I need to look at my paperwork or something, but based on this it seems like it may. I wonder what this line means "In some cases the drive train warranty continues after the basic warranty has expired."

Click image for larger version

Name:	8-22-2011 2-06-30 PM.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	200824
Old 08-22-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Jedi Master

I guess I need to look at my paperwork or something, but based on this it seems like it may. I wonder what this line means "In some cases the drive train warranty continues after the basic warranty has expired."

Attachment 200824
I am not familiar with the warranty you posted.

Are you the original owner of the 2008 Jeep? If so, you should have the lifetime powertrain warranty.
If not, is the warranty you posted something you purchased? If it is, you will have to read the fine print to see if seals are listed as a covered item.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I am not familiar with the warranty you posted.

Are you the original owner of the 2008 Jeep? If so, you should have the lifetime powertrain warranty.
If not, is the warranty you posted something you purchased? If it is, you will have to read the fine print to see if seals are listed as a covered item.
I am not the original owner. I purchased it 30 days ago from Carmax. I did purchase the extended warranty, but they say they are going to cover it under my 30 day "bumper to bumper" warranty. We'll see on Thursday when I have my appointment I suppose.

It has 37,800 miles so it's out of the factory warranty coverage period.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Jedi Master

I am not the original owner. I purchased it 30 days ago from Carmax. I did purchase the extended warranty, but they say they are going to cover it under my 30 day "bumper to bumper" warranty. We'll see on Thursday when I have my appointment I suppose.

It has 37,800 miles so it's out of the factory warranty coverage period.
That's good they are covering it for now. Don't forget to ask about later on.
Some people have gone through several seals before they stopped leaking.

It's the luck of the draw when it comes to inserting the axle through the seal with no damage.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

With no intent to hijack this post, as my topic is similar, I noticed my passenger side front seal is leaking as well, however it's not under warranty and I don't believe I have the skill to fix it myself, has anyone any idea what I should expect to pay a decent mechanic to replace the seal?
Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Axle joints and axle seals