Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this bad, really bad, or not bad at all?

Old 11-03-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this bad, really bad, or not bad at all?

So I was under my sweet, sweet, dearest Jeep which I love so much today taking the bumper off to bedliner it, and I saw this:

I have done a search on here and the only thread I found about the diff leaking was talking about trail damage. I haven't hit my differential on anything (this is the front one, by the way). I don't really know how bad a problem this is. It isn't leaking out onto the ground, but apparently enough is leaking out to get on the outside.

Is this a big deal? I think this is probably covered under my warranty, at least I hope so, because I'm not sure I have the technical skill to fix it. I can change my own oil and do little things, but I don't want to screw up any gears.

Last edited by ClaytonTheAggie; 11-03-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go get a set of lubelocker gaskets for the front and rear and they will never leak again. (Lube locker gaskets are reuseable!)
Old 11-03-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can change your oil, you can change your dif fluid. The RTV is not complete there and it is leaking. You need to drain the fluid, pull the cover, remove old rtv, replace with new (or lube locker) and refill with fluid. piece of cake. It should be done every 12-15K anyway.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Jedi

If you are pulling the covers off....add in some Brake Cleaner as well when you buy the RTV and oil. Brake Cleaner cleans up the gears nicely when you pull the cover!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
If you are pulling the covers off....add in some Brake Cleaner as well when you buy the RTV and oil. Brake Cleaner cleans up the gears nicely when you pull the cover!
There's no problems with brake cleaner damaging seals or anything in there? I'll probably do mine at 12,000 miles and was wondering if it was OK to spray it out.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Freak

mine look the same and are leaking in the exact same spot. i checked my fluid level and they were fine, so when i change my fluid (next week) i'll be doing the same job u are
Old 11-03-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine looks similar but I haven't had any drips so I'm putting off fixing it until I do a complete service job.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I have that all over my diffs -- since I changed my diff oil. That's all it is, oil/now grease. I wouldn't worry about this. The common scenario is your differential breather hose pushed some oil out, because you have had too much in, when going over a bump or driving at highway speeds. That, or it can even been coolant or washer fluid that spouted out when going over a bump. Or maybe your sealant needs replacing.

I would definitely change the sealant between diff cover and the diff next time you change the oil. In the meantime I would not worry about this. Your JK is 100% fine. Just watch to see if the stains get any worse or begin drippinng on your garage floor.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad I bumped in to this - I noticed the same thing on my Jeep when I was changing oil the other day. I didn't realize you're supposed to change it every 12-15k

Haven't hit 12k yet, so not a big deal, but good to know.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by cwhitfield
Glad I bumped in to this - I noticed the same thing on my Jeep when I was changing oil the other day. I didn't realize you're supposed to change it every 12-15k

Haven't hit 12k yet, so not a big deal, but good to know.
I hope that you changed the oil of the engine before 12k

Quick Reply: Is this bad, really bad, or not bad at all?