JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Battery Corrosion??? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/battery-corrosion-317751/)

tsaylor1979 02-22-2015 09:17 AM

Battery Corrosion???

1 Attachment(s)
Is this corrosion? It wasn't there the last time I was under my hood but it was today. Do I just clean it up or is this a bigger problem?

Attachment 598175

ronjenx 02-22-2015 10:29 AM

Disconnect the terminals and dip them in a solution of baking soda and water.
Use a terminal cleaner brush to clean the inside diameter, and the posts.
Take a rag soaked in a solution of baking soda and water and clean the top of the battery until the solution no longer fizzes when applied.

Then, have the battery and charging system checked. You may have a bad battery, an over-charging system, or both.

Tree Frog 02-22-2015 02:31 PM

Do all of the above then if everything checks out good, and everything is clean, go to Napa and get some of their battery corrosion preventative spray. It is a lot like runny red spray paint but it will really work good. 1 can will do all your rigs for many years to come.
I swear by the stuff.

Mark Doiron 02-22-2015 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tree Frog (Post 4059157)
Do all of the above then if everything checks out good, and everything is clean, go to Napa and get some of their battery corrosion preventative spray. It is a lot like runny red spray paint but it will really work good. 1 can will do all your rigs for many years to come.
I swear by the stuff.

I've used WD-40 for decades. Just a quick squirt each oil change does the job.

Lsot 02-22-2015 03:13 PM

Was your jeep in a shop ? Looks like the remnants of post cleaner spray.

tsaylor1979 02-25-2015 04:06 PM

Thanks everyone. I will be cleaning it off soon. More research and your input leads me to believe this is oxidation. I will clean it off and take care of it.

JK_Crawler 02-25-2015 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by tsaylor1979 (Post 4060842)
Thanks everyone. I will be cleaning it off soon. More research and your input leads me to believe this is oxidation. I will clean it off and take care of it.

Buy another battery, the post is leaking. It will return, clean the battery terminal with baking soda nd water mixed together. A brass bristled or wire brush will help knock off the remaining corrosion, buy one small enough to fit inside the diameter of the terminal.

JK_Crawler 02-25-2015 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tree Frog (Post 4059157)
I swear by the stuff.

Look at the picture, someone has already tried it. In my experience I've never had luck with it, mainly because you can't stop the battery post from leaking

Ncb 02-25-2015 08:31 PM

My battery quickly had corrosion around the negative post and the cause was a crack in the case.

CombatDiver 02-28-2015 01:22 AM

Typically corrosion means exposure to acid, that shouldn't happen with modern batteries. A good cleaning is certainly a good idea but I would seriously plan on replacing the battery. Like many components, the stock battery is nothing more than 'good enough' and should be upgraded eventually. It doesn't have to be a really expensive super high crank battery, just something that is better. Most part stores will pro rate your battery so when it fails they will actually refund a portion of your next battery purchase. Battery maintenance is one of the first things I learned in auto mechanics and even back then it was a dying service need (in common automotive design).