Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Battery replacement

Old 11-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Agreed. Stop with the 8th grade name calling.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue
So my two cents, I tossed this in: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...000%7CL3*15597

If it doesn't show, it's an Autocraft H7 850cca. I picked it up from Advanced Auto and did some magic...They offer a 25% off coupon and then some other discount to pick up in store. Had to do it online but ran down and picked it up for a more reasonable price than the MSRP. The H7 had 100 more CCA's than the 34 and it only takes removing a little plastic piece in the tray...You'll see it when you remove your old battery.

So far it's been fantastic.
That's the one I did as well. As far as I can tell it is made by Enersys and with a 25% (max $50) coupon from Advance Auto Parts, the $171 price tag made it percolate towards the top of my choices. So far it is holding up great and the seat of the pants feel is that the start is quicker...... otherwise then that... I have just been pounding pavement in recent times so I can't talk as to the performance with a winch....

You stated that yours is an '11. How much room do you have? What's the biggest that you can put in there? The H7 was the biggest that I could get on '12 without any major mods.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Moving to an H7 or even a Group 31 size battery seems like a good path to pursue. Essentially you're moving to a larger group size battery package which will therefore be able to have higher CCA, and RC specs across the board at a good price point.

Personally, I'ld rather move to a larger group size battery and deal with those mods to make it fit, than go to a dual tray battery setup and have to deal with those mods and setup.

If I felt I needed to isolate my starter battery, from my winching battery carrying one of these inside of my Jeep should work just as well and cost less than a dual tray battery setup.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-05-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So power and voltage go hand and hand, lower voltage= less power
with a dual battery system you can eliminate the low voltage on your essential electronics that keep your Jeep running when you have a high current draw from a winch because the two will be separate. You will be able to use more of your batteries capabilities this way.
Now for the weekender that goes out once every two months this is probably not the setup for you and you can get away with a good single battery setup just fine but for those that are out every weekend and use the winch a lot a dual battery is the way to go IMO.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Except for the fact that once your vehicle is started, your alternator will be spinning and putting out at least 13.5 Volts to your essential electronics that keep your Jeep running.

The way the Genesis dual battery setup works, is that you push a boost button which will temporarily (for 1 minute) connect your starter battery to your accessory battery so you can essentially "jump start" your Jeep. The same thing I outlined in having a jump starter pack, if you're concerned about that scenario. Once the Jeep is jump started, then the batteries go into charge mode and your essential electronics that keep your Jeep running are now running off the alternator.

Have any doubts? Then test it out for yourself. With a single battery setup, start your Jeep. While your Jeep is running disconnect the connections to the POS(+) post of your battery. Your Jeep will continue to run since it is now running off of the alternator, but what the alternator won't be doing is charging your battery while it's running since you've disconnected the connection from your alternator that gets tied to the POS(+) post of your battery. I've done it but I encourage others that have any doubts to try it out themselves.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-05-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

$480, plus the cost of an additional battery ($150+), the additional weight of a 2nd battery, plus the space taken up under your hood, battery tray replacement modifications and wiring mess

or

$120

Both will isolate your starter battery from the battery running your accessories/winch but in reality the Jump starter pack will be more isolated than the dual battery setup. Both will allow you to jump start your vehicle if your battery is drained too low to start your vehicle. With either the electronics running your vehicle, will be powered off of your alternator while the Jeep is running. Either can be configured to recharge your backup battery with your alternator.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-05-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Looks like you both had a point. It depends on application.

If you're a 'weekend warrior' that only occasionally needs to rely on your winch, then the charger pack is a good choice. The downside is you have to remember to keep it charged. (I forgot once).

If you are frequently using your winch or need to rely on battery power when the jeep is off, then the dual looks to be a good choice. The upside being you don't have to remember to charge it as the system will do that for you. Of course the downside is the price.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your missing the point....its called Ohms law and DC power systems. Your alt will put out 13.5 volt and 130ish amps at IDK 1500rpm but when you have a high current draw from a winch (400+amps) it will lower the voltage until it can bounce back but at 400amp your alt can't keep up with the current draw...the battery only has so much reserve. voltage and resistance are all effected by the high current draw. When your voltage drops from the high current draw it could effect other dc systems that rely on a good 12v source like your ECU. The second you put power to your winch voltage will drop to 10-11volts , it will bounce back to 13.5 but the longer you run the winch the lower the voltage will go because the battery only has so much reserve regardless if the engine is running or not . lower voltage=lower current.

The genesis separates the two letting the engine stay running with good 12v source while you can drain the secondary battery(winch battery) and run those 300ft pulls without concern. The secondary battery can handle the power surges and spikes being thrown at it with the high current draws and on\off usage of the winch without putting it into the main battery.

adding 50lbs over the passenger wheel is no more a concern than adding heavy bumper and winch in front of the wheels (whole different topic with weight distribution)

Have any doubts? Then test it out for yourself. With a single battery setup, start your Jeep. While your Jeep is running disconnect the connections to the POS(+) post of your battery. Your Jeep will continue to run since it is now running off of the alternator, but what the alternator won't be doing is charging your battery while it's running since you've disconnected the connection from your alternator that gets tied to the POS(+) post of your battery. I've done it but I encourage others that have any doubts to try it out themselves.
yes your engine will stay running if you pull the POS+ cable...but not while running the winch......you can try this......pull your POS+ cable while engine running connect your winch to that lead and use your winch.....let me know what happens
Old 11-06-2017, 10:57 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Technical Review: Odyssey 34-PC1500T Battery

Technical Review: Odyssey 34-PC1500T Battery

I didn't read all of this thread, don't take this as arguing with anyone else. My limited experience is that a battery like the above linked can work fine with a winch, especially given a running engine and some winch cool-down time that also charges the battery. The battery's low impedance allows it to take a charge faster than the OEM battery, as well as simply having more amp-hours and cold cranking amps.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

And we're concerned with this scenario even after you mentioned that most will only need a 30ft pull with their winch to get unstuck where the Oddysee battery would still have suffient power to start and run your Jeep after a 30 ft pull and I showed it would also be sufficient after a 100ft complete line pull and that's with the engine off? Ok?

Which story, are you going to go with? The 30ft winch pull one is enough or the one where 382 ft winch pull is now beneficial because you previously stated the 382 wasn't needed, yet you just outlined a scenario where you would benefit by having a battery with the extra power. You seem to be going in circles, so it's best we just leave it at that.

Also, you may want to tame down the "Ohm's Law" lecture when you're speaking with an Electrical Engineer who is well versed in Ohm's Law, Kirchoff's Current Law, and "Watts law" and has quite a bit of experience in applying them since the law you're actually attempting to lecture on is "Watts Law" and NOT "Ohm's Law".

Sorry if my logic with supporting numbers behind it seems to be frustrating and confusing you. It's something I use on a daily basis as an EE, and it's just a habit but I often forget to realize many get frustrated when logic is presented to them when it challenges something they believe is true regardless if what they believe to be true makes any logical sense.

Have a good day.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement