Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best guess on what is broken?

Old 10-19-2017, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a little pressure on the manager, and he promised me the Jeep back about a month ago. I called a few days later, and I was told he was on vacation. I called a week later, and was told he didn't work there anymore. I talked to the new manager, and he said he had test driven the Jeep, and the check engine light was coming on, and it handled funny. He called me almost every day for a week, updating me on progress. The funny handling was because they replaced the shock absorber on that side with the wrong one. They got that straightened out, and discovered the engine light was due to a bad oil pump. The oil pan had been damaged in the wreck, and I suspect the oil pump too. This worried me some, because the Jeep had been test driven a few times, and to the dealer and back. If it wasn't getting oil all for all those miles, what did it do to the engine? It has been a week since I have heard anything. The original accident was July 2nd, so it has been over three and a half months
Old 10-19-2017, 05:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Astounding.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

This still sucks. They should have written you a check and been done with it.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just got an email from the insurance company about a new estimate. I called them, and the body shop had sent the car to the dealer because the oil light was on. The body shop put the oil pan on wrong, and blocked the oil passages. The dealer says the body shop is responsible for any damage to the running it with no oil. I am within an inch of suing the parent company of the body shop.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

How the hell does the oil pan get put on wrong? This whole thing has been a disaster of epic proportions. I can't recall.....was this a shop of your choosing, or was this an insurance network approved location and they said take it there? What a mess. Curious what the total cost on this is up to now. They're sure taking it in the shorts on a rental alone.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
How the hell does the oil pan get put on wrong? This whole thing has been a disaster of epic proportions. I can't recall.....was this a shop of your choosing, or was this an insurance network approved location and they said take it there? What a mess. Curious what the total cost on this is up to now. They're sure taking it in the shorts on a rental alone.
Yes, the insurance company chose the shop. FWIW, the the insurance company cancled the rental a month ago, because they thought the body shop was done with the Jeep. Luckily, I have an old minivan that I have been driving.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by 16FW
Yes, the insurance company chose the shop. FWIW, the the insurance company cancled the rental a month ago, because they thought the body shop was done with the Jeep. Luckily, I have an old minivan that I have been driving.
And that is the other party's insurance right? I'd be throwing an absolute fit. To me it's past being an ordinary situation. Considering how long ago the original accident was, how long it's taken THEIR preferred service provider to perform the repair, then how long you've been without reimbursed transportation, and now considering you could have additional damage that was caused by THEIR preferred service provider. The whole thing has gone beyond what should be acceptable. All this and you will get a jeep back with a big carfax hit AND possible hidden issues down the road caused the repair process. I'd be done.

Even after getting the jeep back, I'd want to wash my hands of that one and get something different. It makes me wonder....are there situations where the repair process, or damage during the repair process can be so egregious that you have a legal leg to stand on forcing the insurance company to buy the vehicle from you and allow you to move on from it?
Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
And that is the other party's insurance right? I'd be throwing an absolute fit. To me it's past being an ordinary situation. Considering how long ago the original accident was, how long it's taken THEIR preferred service provider to perform the repair, then how long you've been without reimbursed transportation, and now considering you could have additional damage that was caused by THEIR preferred service provider. The whole thing has gone beyond what should be acceptable. All this and you will get a jeep back with a big carfax hit AND possible hidden issues down the road caused the repair process. I'd be done.

Even after getting the jeep back, I'd want to wash my hands of that one and get something different. It makes me wonder....are there situations where the repair process, or damage during the repair process can be so egregious that you have a legal leg to stand on forcing the insurance company to buy the vehicle from you and allow you to move on from it?
The problem is their insurance, and mine are the same company. But the rest is correct, and very aggravating.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I still don't have my Jeep back. The original wreck was July 2. The Jeep went to a dealer to repair the engine damage nearly 3 weeks ago. Now I hear that they are doing a complete overhaul.

I would expect a body shop to do at least a fair job on sheet metal and paint, but not replacing a frame and 4X4 front axle. I aslo don't think a dealer can overhaul an engine back to factory specs.

The fan went out on my poor old minivan. I was on an interstate, and it stayed cool until all traffic stopped for a wreck. By the time I could get off, the temp had pegged, and dropped back to zero. It broke the plastic radiator tank, and the engine seized up. It managed to replace the radiator, and get it running, but now it won't pass emissions, so I can get a new tag. What else can go wrong :

I did managed to get the body shop to supply me with another rental car.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grow a pair of balls And start raising hell!

I would be demanding the blue book value for that vehicle. I would be calling the ****ing OWNER of that insurance company at his home every night until they bought at jeep from me.
I would NEVER take that Jeep back. I used to work as an adjuster years ago....and let me tell you at I have never ever heard of anything this outrageous.

What insurance company & agent?

Quick Reply: Best guess on what is broken?