Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Best guess on what is broken?

Old 08-17-2017, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 16FW
It must be getting closer, if it is ready fro freon. They are supposed to call me this week.
I had to call them (what a surprise) and it will be at least another week.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I called for an update, and they told me something disconcerting. They said they had to cut holes in the body to access the bolts. That isn't what is in the video. They did say they were going to weld them closed. The main thing that worries me is water getting in through the a bad weld. I drive in streams a lot, up to 2' deep. I would hate to get flooded because they didn't seal the holes up properly.

Last edited by 16FW; 08-22-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

it's things like this that really suck when you're in an accident.....even a minor one. Even though the vehicle is "fixed", it is just never the same as it was before. Not sure there is much you can do about that though. I'd probably want to have them point out exactly every place that was cut and welded, and then think about if there is any way to protect that spot.....like possible to coat it with something like FlexSeal spray from the underside....something with waterproofing abilities.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
it's things like this that really suck when you're in an accident.....even a minor one. Even though the vehicle is "fixed", it is just never the same as it was before. Not sure there is much you can do about that though. I'd probably want to have them point out exactly every place that was cut and welded, and then think about if there is any way to protect that spot.....like possible to coat it with something like FlexSeal spray from the underside....something with waterproofing abilities.
I worry about that too. good suggestion on the FlexSeal.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just managed to talk to the manager. I started trying Monday. It appears nothing had been done since they told me it needed coolant and alignment two weeks ago. They are going to *try* to get it to the dealer Friday. My guess is they pushed it off into a corner, and forgot about it...
Old 08-30-2017, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

This kind of hassle is what is NEVER compensated for in an insurance claim.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the day off because hurricane/tropical storm Irma came through, so I went by the body shop. As I suspected, they aren't working on it at all. Everything they have told me for the past month are just lies
Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by 16FW
I had the day off because hurricane/tropical storm Irma came through, so I went by the body shop. As I suspected, they aren't working on it at all. Everything they have told me for the past month are just lies
Whaaaa? Is the insurance company paying for a rental this whole time? Have you told the insurance company the shop hasn't been doing anything for several weeks now?

Maybe it's time to just tow it away from them and have someone else take over. Coming up on 2.5 months now. Redonk.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's not unusual for an accident like this to take time. My brother had a decent hit that required a new front axle and some frame tweaking. $13k blue book jeep.....$5k for a crate axle, a couple thousand in paint, frame work, new bumper, new flares ($1500), and a rental car for -6 months- yes. They didn't total it and the other guy's insurance just kept footing the bill. We finally took the jeep back even with some things being blatantly wrong. I'd rather fix those myself than risk them messing up other items.

Sucks to be without it for so long and if they're claiming they've ordered parts then you're on their schedule
Old 09-14-2017, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

y, but at this point the work was down to taking it to the dealer. How could it sit for weeks on the lot with nothing done when what needs to be done is tow it down to the dealer?

Quick Reply: Best guess on what is broken?