Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Breaks coming on while accelerating and not pressing the break pedal

Old 01-10-2020, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaks coming on while accelerating and not pressing the break pedal

Lately when I知 accelerating from a stop light, I値l get up to around 35 mph and it feels like the breaks are coming on and slow me down to 20 then all the sudden it stops and I can drive normally. Can anyone identify this issue?
Old 01-10-2020, 03:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Are you sure your calipers aren't sticking? One way to tell is to drive around, then come to a stop on level ground. Then lift your foot off the brake and see if the Jeep moves forward under the power of idle only. If you have a manual trans, stop on a very slight incline, then release the brake and see if you roll.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Are the RPMs dropping?
Old 01-11-2020, 02:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I'd be surprised if this is the issue, but there have been a couple instances of a caliper bolt falling out, and I witnessed one while driving the TransAmerica Trail a couple years back. Check the bolts that mount the caliper brackets. My friend lost one and that allowed the caliper to rotate, grinding into the disk, acting like brakes were being applied. You can see that at about 9:45 on this video ...

Old 01-13-2020, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does it pull to one side or brake evenly? I’d go out with an infrared thermometer on board and make a run then shoot all four corners to find out which is hotter than the rest. Once you’ve narrowed it down it’ll be easier to concentrate your efforts on diagnosing just one end or corner. Last time I had a problem like this it turned out to be a collapsed rubber hose on a front caliper. But that’s certainly not the only possibility.

Quick Reply: Breaks coming on while accelerating and not pressing the break pedal