Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

BesTop TrekTop NX Twill in Canadian Winter

Old 08-20-2016, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BesTop TrekTop NX Twill in Canadian Winter

I am considering running my BesTop TrekTop NX Twill on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK 4-door thru the winter. I see two problems with making the change, one being the complexity of the process [it took two of us 5 hours to install it] and the other being the scheduling of two friends at the same time as the weather cooperates.

I am in southwestern Ontario [London] where we get quite messy winters :( There will be several times when there is several inches of snow piled up on it in the morning, overnight temperatures in the -15`C to -20`C [+5`F to -4`F] range, and salty, slushy snow being splashed around by big trucks. Typically snowy, messy and cold.

I "have heard" [you know, internet forums ] that the zippers will not last more than a few years of this so better to take it off, and OTOH that people have been running convertible tops thru winter for decades so why not leave it on. I am not concerned about keeping warm - I ran a convertible back in the 60s with no trouble, and this is Canada ya know I do understand about not scraping the plastic windows.

So I am interested in the experience, knowledge and even opinions of others, especially if you have run a BesTop TrekTop NX Twill thru at least a few winters, before I decide.

BTW, I love this top. I like the slope style, the heavy twill material and the overall look.

Last edited by mdawdy; 08-24-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Does anyone have an opinion on this question? Please!
Old 09-02-2016, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

I bought mine when I bought my jeep in 2012. I think I ran it ever since except for maybe the first winter I had it. Used my hardtop. Since then it's been on ever since. My zippers are fine. I've just recently noticed some small minor issues with the threading in some places but nothing zipper related. I would add like I have done some paracord extensions to the zippers to make it easier but other than that I love mine and will replace it with another when it's time.

Hope it helps. Oh and although I keep remembering to order some zipper lube to keep it functioning properly I never have.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

I agree, probably the biggest thing is too keep the zippers clean after the salt. I've had mine on going on four winters now. My Jeep heats up real well so all the snow melts off pretty quick. I take the windows out regularly in the summer with no issues on the zippers. I have a non twill top and the fading shows as I'm too lazy to really treat the top material well (cleaning,preserving etc.) Live in northern NH with plenty of snow and salt... I do treat the zippers at least once a year..
Old 09-12-2016, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Here is the email I sent to BesTop and their response, regarding running the BesTop NX Twill in messy Canadian winters ...

I am considering running my BesTop TrekTop NX Twill on my 2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU thru the winter. I see some problems with making the change, one being the complexity of the process [it took two of us 5 hours to install it] and another being the scheduling of myself plus two friends at the same time as the weather cooperates.

I am in southwestern Ontario Canada [London] where we get quite messy winters There will be times when there are several inches of snow piled up on it in the morning, overnight temperatures in the -15`C to -20`C [+5`F to -4`F] range, and salty, slushy snow being splashed around by big trucks. Typically snowy, messy and cold. I do understand about not scraping the plastic windows.

So my question is, how do these tops hold up over the course of several to many of these snowy, messy and cold winters? What special wash, protection, etc products should I use before winter to help protect it?

Thank you for contacting us. Our Trektop NX Twill should not be any trouble for you in the winter, however as you know the windows do get fragile in the cold and will crack if you try to scrap them off. Also do not let the snow pile on it and sit on the top. It will stretch the fabric and also water will eventually seep through. With the winters that you get, I would say it would be better not to have the top on for the winter.

Quick Reply: BesTop TrekTop NX Twill in Canadian Winter