JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   blown steering damper... (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/blown-steering-damper-162132/)

cybersymes 02-02-2011 10:05 AM

blown steering damper...

oil everywhere as it happens...
but as you all probably know this is a recall item...
at least is is here in the uk...
so tomorrow it is being replaced free of charge...
[80 pounds sterling...plus vat ...plus fitting...]
i'm in ireland by the way...

just thought i'd mention it...
in case anyone has a leaking unit... !!!

will469 02-11-2011 03:06 PM

Wow a leaking unit could prove to be very embarrassing.

RescueGreen#3 02-11-2011 09:48 PM

Fwiw, once you're out of warranty, you may as well replace it with a HD stabilizer from teraflex. I don't know how their international distribution is set up but it's a very strong unit for nominal cost.

Good luck!

cybersymes 04-01-2011 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by RescueGreen#3 (Post 2093877)
Fwiw, once you're out of warranty, you may as well replace it with a HD stabilizer from teraflex. I don't know how their international distribution is set up but it's a very strong unit for nominal cost.

Good luck!

thanks for the info...i'm saving for a terraflex lift...
so i'll get the damper too...

cheers ... :thumbsup::beer::thumbsup:

bareass 04-01-2011 04:37 AM

mine blew.... so i made an appointment. right before i went it for it, i went wheeling, and put a small scratch in the bottom of the shock. that was it for that, void warranty and had to change it myself. now going on my third. it seems you really need a relocation bracket for it if you want to keep the one you have:wink:

cybersymes 04-01-2011 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by bareass (Post 2201825)
mine blew.... so i made an appointment. right before i went it for it, i went wheeling, and put a small scratch in the bottom of the shock. that was it for that, void warranty and had to change it myself. now going on my third. it seems you really need a relocation bracket for it if you want to keep the one you have:wink:

wild...bad luck on the scratch...
good info on the relocation bracket...

many thanks dude... :thumbsup:

dinojeep 04-02-2011 04:53 AM

mine blew at 20k. replaced under warranty.

Notakar 04-02-2011 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by dinojeep (Post 2204223)
mine blew at 20k. replaced under warranty.

mine also - replaced with a beefier stock shock.

Hellbound13 04-02-2011 05:27 AM

Get the Bilstein one. Hands down the best feel.

Granger 04-02-2011 06:49 PM

It's funny. I went thru three new ones from the dealer and they all failed. I finally ended up purchasing a dual set up made by RCS. Have not had any problems since.