Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Both tops on at the same time? Why not?

Old 10-28-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both tops on at the same time? Why not?

Hi! Just got my new '13 JKUR in yesterday (which I LOVE btw), with the dual top option. The soft top was already installed in the back, but there are stickers everywhere that says only one top should be installed at a time, and the soft top is only there for shipping.

So, first, my main question is why can't the soft top just stay there? It doesn't seem to be bothering anything, and it doesn't look like it is rubbing on anything important.

But also what I'm really wondering is, can I just leave it there till spring when I take the hard top off?

Thanks!

-Robbie
Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

My '12 came the same way and I thought about waiting as well. I think the reason they want you to take the soft top off is simply because it is almost impossible to put anything in the back with it there. If it is impossible for you to remove the hard top for an hour then I say leave it there but my experience has been that it is worth the effort and time. You won't regret being able to utilize the little bit of space we have in the back of a jeep.

There is also the possibility something is missing or damaged and you would likely have a hard time proving that in 6 month when it warms up again.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Total pain to keep it on. Mine came that way too, and came off ASAP. Sounds like a good idea but makes the back almost useless to get into.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my JK in Dec and left the soft top in until spring. I just have a 2 door but I am king of packing... Lol. We went many weekends to the cottage with dog crate and soft cooler under the soft top and duffle bags on top. Used the soft top as a shelf. one guy at work can't believe I take wife, two sons 10 and 6, twenty five pound corgi, and gear to the cottage in my 2 door.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

There is also possibility of it rubbing on the corners of the header and end up wearing the material. Definitely pull it soon.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I left my softop in mine when I bought new for a couple months also. I didnt have any issues.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't see why it matters other than the pain in the butt to put things in the back. It's not really different from having it down for a long period of time. If it doesn't rub on anything and it doesn't bother you back there then why not leave it.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Junkie

On my tj I bought it used just one year old and it and the soft top was still in factory wrapping

I waited till spring, my 2012 jk was bought in late January and I also waited till spring as well

I'm just lazy I guess

Matthew
Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 AM
JK Newbie

i left mine on for about 8 months. when i pulled the soft top out i saw evidence of rubbing that took place on that vinyl wrap around cover they put over it.

it rubs in places you cant see easiy when its in place.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Because you need to be a contortionist to get anything into the storage area with both tops on.

I've got the dual-top option too, and the day that I brought it home I felt like I was doing the limbo just trying to get the cardboard boxes with the soft top windows out of the back. Having both tops on lasted about 3 hours until I could get the soft top installed properly and the hardtop in storage until the fall.

Quick Reply: Both tops on at the same time? Why not?