Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bought new 100,000 miles ago>>THE GOOD THE BAD THE UGLY

Old 11-13-2017, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Bought new 100,000 miles ago>>THE GOOD THE BAD THE UGLY

Hello All,
I have been a wrangler owner about 10 years now. When I bought my 2011 Sahara 2 door, I joined the forum to learn as much as i could. Seeing only complaints on here was a bit scary. But I think I owe it to the forum to contribute and post my experiences with my jeep. I also need a little bit of help with a few issues

So this was the first brand new vehicle I had ever bought and I was hoping i would get my moneys worth, which I think I did.
100,000 miles and I have had to do minimal maintenance and have not had any real MAJOR mechanical problems. I still have all of my original front end parts, suspension parts, exhausts, bushing, and even all the front brakes are still from factory. In fact my front pads are still pretty thick, however my rears needed replacing at under 20k miles. Rear brakes have been the biggest headache on the whole jeep as i have done them 3-4 times plus 50+ adjustments. The rotor pads wear fairly quick and same with the emergency shoes...they are PITA to replace in my opinion, and my e brake has NEVER worked correctly...It never stays tight. But i have stripped teeth off of 2 separate e brake assembly. As of right now, I dont even have a handle installed...waiting on a new one. But I will say for 100,000 miles, i have been overall pretty please with the vehicle. However here are some issues I am having or have had
*E brake not staying in adjustment and wearing out prematurely
*e brake handle teeth strip off if you need to set it high
*with no e brake in the jeep, and nothing plugged in I am still getting an intermittent "BRAKE" light on the dash and a chime. Generally when I come to a stop at a light
*front tie rods seize making it very difficult to replace
*Freedom top leaked when I picked it up (multiple visits to fix) leak came back but runs down column onto passenger floor. pull drain plug; fixed
*clock does not tell accurate time! since new
*radio shorted out. first no fm radio, then nothing. display OK, no sound. Got new radio, still didn't keep time
*drivers side heated seat stopped working shortly after warranty period ended
*lighted switched for power windows, no longer illuminate. First passenger stopped, then drivers. Also lighted switched for door locks do not work
*hydraulic seat high adjustment slowly loses lift..after a few day I have to pump it back up
*leaky front axle seals
*leaky rear axle seals
*power steering wine; can be super annoying. worse during cold weather
*intermittent traction light. used to get this, and i would shut it off start up and gone. now it comes on a few hours, then gone...see it every few days
*Rear diff just starting to show seepage
*For a short time my key would not lock the vehicle remotely, unless i reinserted key into ignition and pulled it back out
*interior light do not come on when drivers door is opened, also does not show door ajar on diver display. It used to work if i wiggled plug, now nothing.
*Airbag light. Clock spring was replaced by me, super easy.
When vehicle is cold, the air mode selector(vents, floor, windshield) has a hard time switching from vent to windshield unless i move it back and forth a few times
*suspension squeaks going down bumpy hills while braking
*wet days I see a decent amount of steam coming out from under the hood, no smell of antifreeze, or cooling issues what-so-ever so maybe normal or OK?
*EGR valve engine code. Intermittent, pretty sure this is why I have an issue with PING...but not positive. being my jeep in a manual (no AT trans dipstick) should be easy to do, just gotta do it
*extreme engine ping on 87 octane, zero ping on 91. First time I had a ping issue i had a loud pop and my check engine light flashed a few times, shortly after I did an ignition tune up, and found a spark plug with the whole electrode had blown off!! and pieces that were on the were denigrating! never seen anything like it. And it ran the same before and after the ignition tune up. Still pinging away
*OIL CONSUMPTION!!! this is a big one for me.. This one scares me...My jeep eats through oil. I dont smell it, see clouds of smoke, or have drips on the ground. First time i noticed it was shortly after I switched to synthetic mobile 1.after about 3k miles my oil light came on while climbing a hill. checked oil level, nothing on dipstick....did another oil change with mobile one, again used up probably 3 quarts of oil over 5k miles. So i switched back to conventional, and oil consumption seemed to not be a problem...now the other day, i start my jeep and its a dry start. "rap rap rap rap" the smooth...so i check oil, nothing on the stick after only 2k miles...What is happening?! I do see it seeping from my oil pan, and possibly the timing chain area, but i dont see how 3 quarts seep thru without a smell or a drip... any ideas?

All that being said most of my issues are not huge concerns for me and I would like to continue to drive the jeep for another 100k, but the engine oil issue is scary for me...half of me says find the problem and fix it and drive on, and part of me says dump it while im ahead and its still worth some money...
Thanks for reading everyone, if anyone has some insight on the oil issue that would be great! #KEEPtheJEEP

Last edited by mldsrt4; 11-13-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mldsrt4
Hello All,
I have been a wrangler owner about 10 years now. When I bought my 2011 Sahara 2 door, I joined the forum to learn as much as i could. Seeing only complaints on here was a bit scary. But I think I owe it to the forum to contribute and post my experiences with my jeep. I also need a little bit of help with a few issues

So this was the first brand new vehicle I had ever bought and I was hoping i would get my moneys worth, which I think I did.
100,000 miles and I have had to do minimal maintenance and have not had any real MAJOR mechanical problems. I still have all of my original front end parts, suspension parts, exhausts, bushing, and even all the front brakes are still from factory. In fact my front pads are still pretty thick, however my rears needed replacing at under 20k miles. Rear brakes have been the biggest headache on the whole jeep as i have done them 3-4 times plus 50+ adjustments. The rotor pads wear fairly quick and same with the emergency shoes...they are PITA to replace in my opinion, and my e brake has NEVER worked correctly...It never stays tight. But i have stripped teeth off of 2 separate e brake assembly. As of right now, I dont even have a handle installed...waiting on a new one. But I will say for 100,000 miles, i have been overall pretty please with the vehicle. However here are some issues I am having or have had
*E brake not staying in adjustment and wearing out prematurely
*e brake handle teeth strip off if you need to set it high
*with no e brake in the jeep, and nothing plugged in I am still getting an intermittent "BRAKE" light on the dash and a chime. Generally when I come to a stop at a light
*front tie rods seize making it very difficult to replace
*Freedom top leaked when I picked it up (multiple visits to fix) leak came back but runs down column onto passenger floor. pull drain plug; fixed
*clock does not tell accurate time! since new
*radio shorted out. first no fm radio, then nothing. display OK, no sound. Got new radio, still didn't keep time
*drivers side heated seat stopped working shortly after warranty period ended
*lighted switched for power windows, no longer illuminate. First passenger stopped, then drivers. Also lighted switched for door locks do not work
*hydraulic seat high adjustment slowly loses lift..after a few day I have to pump it back up
*leaky front axle seals
*leaky rear axle seals
*power steering wine; can be super annoying. worse during cold weather
*intermittent traction light. used to get this, and i would shut it off start up and gone. now it comes on a few hours, then gone...see it every few days
*Rear diff just starting to show seepage
*For a short time my key would not lock the vehicle remotely, unless i reinserted key into ignition and pulled it back out
*interior light do not come on when drivers door is opened, also does not show door ajar on diver display. It used to work if i wiggled plug, now nothing.
*Airbag light. Clock spring was replaced by me, super easy.
When vehicle is cold, the air mode selector(vents, floor, windshield) has a hard time switching from vent to windshield unless i move it back and forth a few times
*suspension squeaks going down bumpy hills while braking
*wet days I see a decent amount of steam coming out from under the hood, no smell of antifreeze, or cooling issues what-so-ever so maybe normal or OK?
*EGR valve engine code. Intermittent, pretty sure this is why I have an issue with PING...but not positive. being my jeep in a manual (no AT trans dipstick) should be easy to do, just gotta do it
*extreme engine ping on 87 octane, zero ping on 91. First time I had a ping issue i had a loud pop and my check engine light flashed a few times, shortly after I did an ignition tune up, and found a spark plug with the whole electrode had blown off!! and pieces that were on the were denigrating! never seen anything like it. And it ran the same before and after the ignition tune up. Still pinging away
*OIL CONSUMPTION!!! this is a big one for me.. This one scares me...My jeep eats through oil. I dont smell it, see clouds of smoke, or have drips on the ground. First time i noticed it was shortly after I switched to synthetic mobile 1.after about 3k miles my oil light came on while climbing a hill. checked oil level, nothing on dipstick....did another oil change with mobile one, again used up probably 3 quarts of oil over 5k miles. So i switched back to conventional, and oil consumption seemed to not be a problem...now the other day, i start my jeep and its a dry start. "rap rap rap rap" the smooth...so i check oil, nothing on the stick after only 2k miles...What is happening?! I do see it seeping from my oil pan, and possibly the timing chain area, but i dont see how 3 quarts seep thru without a smell or a drip... any ideas?

All that being said most of my issues are not huge concerns for me and I would like to continue to drive the jeep for another 100k, but the engine oil issue is scary for me...half of me says find the problem and fix it and drive on, and part of me says dump it while im ahead and its still worth some money...
Thanks for reading everyone, if anyone has some insight on the oil issue that would be great! #KEEPtheJEEP
I am at 61k on my 2010. I have original ball joints..that's the only thing left that's stock in the front.
-No axle seal leaks anywhere yet
-No power steering wine for me yet..I do run a PS cooler though
-My clock never keeps the time correct!
-My clock spring was replaced under recall
-Leaking transmission lines replaces under recall (auto)

The steam is probably just water burning off from the heat I'd guess

The one thing we have in common and a lot of 3.8L owners do is oil consumption. Mine burns somewhere around half a quart per 1k or less. Sometime's it will burn more and sometimes it will burn less. Same oil so I have no idea why. And I have zero leaks or seeps of oil anywhere. It just eats it up. Check the oil constantly and carry some extra on longer trips! Don't let it run dry, that's what kills these 3.8's pretty fast.

Also the engine pinging..fairly certain mine does as well so I mainly run 89-91 octane. Hard to explain the sound..marbles rattling in a can?

Last edited by silverbullet88; 11-13-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a similar problem with oil consumption in a previous car where it wasn't clear where it was going, not leaking and not obviously burning it. It was a stuck oil control ring which was caused by overheating (ONE TIME!). Eventually when it was a quart every 200 miles you could actually see blue smoke under acceleration.

The pinging may also be related to running hot. If the engine runs just a hair hot it may be susceptible to pinging and sticking the rings in the grooves. BTW this isn't something you fix with thermostat, it's something you fix with a higher capacity radiator and more forced air, better shrouding, etc. In my Miata I eventually went to an aluminum 5-core racing radiator, thing was like 4" thick.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default >100,000 miles

I have over 120,000 miles on my 2013 Rubicon JKU 10A. Other than tires, Lube, oil, & filter(s) I have had to do the following:

rear brake pads(3 times) ...still running original front
battery
ESP light kept coming on & Cruise control intermittant...(Clockspring replaced twice)
Heater module replaced
water pump
Radio/navigation head unit replaced
both rear stop lamp bulbs

AT my 100,000 mile maintenance I did the following:
replace coolant
replace spark plugs
driver side front axle seal

My ODBC connector broke months ago.. but it was always in the way anyway so I just wrapped electrical tape around it to protect it and called it good.

This is my 6th Jeep and second JKU. I'm happy with it... My wife says I love my Jeep more than I love her.

KG6SLC aks Eugene
The following users liked this post:
Tim the first (07-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Bought new 100,000 miles ago>>THE GOOD THE BAD THE UGLY