Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake Calipers Sticking on 2008 JK X

Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Calipers Sticking on 2008 JK X

Hello,

I'm new around here but hope to be around a lot more. I own a 2008 X and I'm having a problem with the brake calipers not releasing...

This first happened in April 2010. I was driving and, very suddenly, my Jeep started pulling to one side and shaking violently. I pulled over, did a walk around and could not see any problems and then got back on the road only to have it happen again. My Jeep was under warranty still, at the time, I called Jeep and had it taken to the nearest dealer where it was fixed for free and I have not had a problem, unitl yesterday. Again, yesterday, I was driving and my Jeep started shaking and pulling to the side. There was a dealership about 5 miles away and I chanced trying to get there without a tow since it is no longer under warranty. The problem did not happen again, though, and I decided to let it go for the time being. I do need an answer as to why it is happening though... Jeep could not do that last time. They simply stated the calipers failed and were badly damaged from the incident...

So, this seems to happen at 30-40 mph when I am turning/veering slightly (like to avoid a pot hole) and tap the brakes. Both times this has happened has been very similar driving conditions.

I'm running 33X12.50X15 BFG All-Terrains. I think the brake lines/components are all stock. The wheels and tires were already on when I bought my Jeep. The calipers were replaced in April 2010.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your time-

J.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a pull to the right when applying the brake if the road is rough or pot holed. I've not had any violent pulling though. When it next happens, get out and touch (carefully HOT!!!) or use an infrared non contact thermometer on the rotors to see if one is significantly hotter than others. If you find one hot one, something is dragging, do the work yourself. There is a good thread on the subject on the forum. I'd replace pads (if warn), sliders, pin boots, clean all sliding surfaces and examine the caliper for any damage or unusual build-up. How many miles since your last trouble in 2010?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking Brake Calipers

I was having a problem with Jeep I thought was loosing power some on the time,But after having checking it closer I found out the calipers were sticking some on the time and made it fill like it was loosing power.When it did it one time,I jacked the front up and tried to turn front tires and could not.Replaced calipers and pads and works find now.

Quick Reply: Brake Calipers Sticking on 2008 JK X