JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Brake pedal rattle/shake (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/brake-pedal-rattle-shake-300285/)

olyelr 03-31-2014 03:38 AM

Brake pedal rattle/shake

OK, this has finally drove me to drinking. Every time I drive over just the right size bump, pothole, crack, possum or any other irregularity in the road my brake pedal rattles so much it sounds like it is going to fall off. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone come up with a fix?

So far my temporary fix has been to lift up on the bottom of the brake pedal while driving over bumps. While this does successfully completely prevent the rattle/shaking from occurring, I really don't care for driving with my foot UNDER the brake peddle. I have been dreaming about installing some type of heavy duty spring which would pull up on the pedal and hold tension on it.

I do plan on crawling under there in attempt to try to decipher why this is happening, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Anyone else have/had this issue and came up with a good fix?

fultonromero12 03-31-2014 04:17 AM

Does the pedal feel loose when you press it to brake? If I were you I would not drive it until I knew exactly what part is failing.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

olyelr 03-31-2014 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by fultonromero12 (Post 3875505)
Does the pedal feel loose when you press it to brake? If I were you I would not drive it until I knew exactly what part is failing.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

I can lift up on the brake pedal with my foot while driving, what feels like a half inch or more. When I do this it will not vibrate and rattle over bumps. Honestly, I have not even squeezed my little ass under there yet to get a good look at it. I figured there would be a 100 threads about this and how to fix it, but I didn't find much of anything.

Jeepstin12 03-31-2014 04:57 PM

Mine does it as well. Hard bumps, washboard roads. Drives me insane. I am considering placing a dense urethane in the pedal strut to reduce or try to eliminate the noise. I have some, just have to look at where I can place it.

olyelr 03-31-2014 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12 (Post 3876077)
Mine does it as well. Hard bumps, washboard roads. Drives me insane. I am considering placing a dense urethane in the pedal strut to reduce or try to eliminate the noise. I have some, just have to look at where I can place it.

I knew I wouldn't be the only one with the issue. If you get under there and find a fix keep this updated. I am going to crawl down there next time I get a chance to see what mine looks like so I can start brewing up a fix.

08rubie 04-01-2014 04:09 PM

i have a 12jkr and my whole set does it. exp my clutch peddle sounds like there going to fall off

08rubie 06-10-2014 12:33 PM

any answers to this?

ephilli2 07-21-2014 07:39 AM

Anyone have a fix for this yet? Same problem on my '13 Rubi. The rattle is driving me bonkers. Are dealers willing to address this for warranty?

08rubie 07-21-2014 01:32 PM

2 different dealers claim its normal

Mountain Man Tim 07-21-2014 09:26 PM

is your brake fluid properly topped off? for it to rattle there must be space in the system making the brake pedal "loose" instead of rising all the way to its max position when not depressed, at least by the universal laws of common sense and logic!