Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brand new JK excessive blowby

Old 07-13-2019, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brand new JK excessive blowby

Hey everyone I am new here. I got rid of the compass and recently got into a brand new 2018 jkur in may. Currently sitting at 13000km I noticed a fairly large amount of what appears oil dripping from the air box, soaking everything passenger side. I am guessing blow by. Is this common and should I be worried? I will be calling the dealer monday. Oil pressure is good and levels seem low and the oil cap is apparently missing after its first service 3000km ago. Thanks

Last edited by Jehjeep; 07-14-2019 at 06:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Radmobile (02-03-2020)
Old 07-13-2019, 07:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

do not run it without the oil cap. Probably where all the oil is coming from...
Old 07-13-2019, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
do not run it without the oil cap. Probably where all the oil is coming from...
Appreciate the quick response. That side of the engine is clean (drivers). All oil is appearing to originate from below air filter box. (Passenger)
Old 07-13-2019, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jehjeep
Appreciate the quick response. That side of the engine is clean (drivers). All oil is appearing to originate from below air filter box. (Passenger)
Maybe it's leftover from the diff oil mess??? Suggest wiping everything down, and check it often. Windex works well for oily messes. Also, keep a close eye on the engine oil level.

Oil cap missing, is very bad -- I'd be a bit ticked with a new Jeep, best to have it checked at a dealer if you're unsure about the situation.

Stay in touch

Last edited by Mr.T; 07-13-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Are you certain it is oil and not A/C condensation? Kind of looks like my A/C puddles is the reason I ask.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Worst case situation. Can not believe it! Whole air system is filled (soaked!) with oil. Didn't even get far and notice excessive oil loss. Power and everything was normal. Truthfully if it were my gf driving she wouldn't of even noticed.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:51 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Holy moly See new things every day.....I don't think I've run across this one. How the heck..... I mean, you have what looks to be a lot of oil getting down to the frame. Somebody please explain this one. Is this somehow tied back to missing oil cap creating some freak environment?
Old 07-17-2019, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Holy moly See new things every day.....I don't think I've run across this one. How the heck..... I mean, you have what looks to be a lot of oil getting down to the frame. Somebody please explain this one. Is this somehow tied back to missing oil cap creating some freak environment?
Thanks for the response. So it was at the dealership yesterday. I tried explaining that in my non professional head this could only mean faulty pcv valve or blow by, I couldn't understand how a lost oil cap could do it but they ran with that story and blamed the other dealership.They did manage to find my cap deep down somewhere when they were cleaning but that worsens my suspicions more. After cleaning they tell me jeep is safe to drive. Not even a hint of entertaining my concerns on how this could happen. I am going to run it and see what happens I suppose.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

That's a lot of oil. I'd wash off the engine before evaluating the fix. But, I agree: Most likely that oil cap was not properly reinstalled after servicing, which led to the mess.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

Still could not see it getting in to the intake air box though. Can see it all around the place but not in air box.

Quick Reply: Brand new JK excessive blowby