Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Broken front wheel speed sensor

Old 08-02-2017, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Will presume you greased the splines and shaft where the seal would hit prior to re-inserting right?
I did smear grease over axle shaft splines and the smooth part. I meant to smear grease inside the seals themselves, but I was tired and rushing, so in went the carrier when I realized I didn't.....

I just watched a video on Saran and some of it looks pretty hairy. Would you be interested in a trip to Buena Vista? Do the Alpine Tunnel/Hanc0ck/Tincup Pass?

Last edited by Seizer; 08-02-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: LOL it edited hand kock pass
Old 08-02-2017, 12:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Seizer
I just watched a video on Saran and some of it looks pretty hairy. Would you be interested in a trip to Buena Vista? Do the Alpine Tunnel/Hanc0ck/Tincup Pass?
LOL. I'm sure we can find something if your schedule allows. I've got a few things in that direction to hit as well. Twin Cone and Wheeler Lake are on my list. I have a google doc with earmarked trails around that area -

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Whatever you think you're up for. If you'd like to do something a little more than what you'd typically do, I promise I won't lead you astray. I'm equipped and wouldn't get in a situation we couldn't get you out of or through.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Whatever you think you're up for. If you'd like to do something a little more than what you'd typically do, I promise I won't lead you astray. I'm equipped and wouldn't get in a situation we couldn't get you out of or through.
That doc is pretty slick where did you get all that info?

I'm not against trying something a bit more challenging, I just concern myself because my Jeep is my daily driver as well, and I would hate for you to have to tow me back to civilization if something went south real fast. Wheeler Lake..... that looks way out of my Jeep and likely my knowledge/skill level league.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

That doc is pretty slick where did you get all that info?

I'm not against trying something a bit more challenging, I just concern myself because my Jeep is my daily driver as well, and I would hate for you to have to tow me back to civilization if something went south real fast. Wheeler Lake..... that looks way out of my Jeep and likely my knowledge/skill level league.
I think most of that info came from Traildamage back before they charged an annual membership. Even at $12/yr, they're stuff is a good wealth of info though. I’m kinda anal. I have that doc printed out so each trail is on one sheet of paper (front and back), and then I have em laminated for quick reference when out and about. I’m always searching for new things to do when I visit my dad……I’m not much for just sitting around.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

My hat off to you Resharp. The youtube video trick for the speed sensor worked like a charm. Man that sucker was corroded in there. Just took some mild persuasion once I imbedded that screw in there. Alas though the tie rod end did not cooperate at all. I removed the whole stinking thing and just bought a new one.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

My hat off to you Resharp. The youtube video trick for the speed sensor worked like a charm. Man that sucker was corroded in there. Just took some mild persuasion once I imbedded that screw in there. Alas though the tie rod end did not cooperate at all. I removed the whole stinking thing and just bought a new one.
Glad that helped. Sorry you went down that path and had a headache in the first place due to my suggestion.

BTW, we both learned something in this thread.....cuz I dont have to deal with corrosion down here and hadn't run across this issue in my time

Quick Reply: Broken front wheel speed sensor