Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

broken lug nut caps, unbelievable

Old 09-27-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken lug nut caps, unbelievable

I walked out to my driveway the other day to see two flattened lug nuts caps off my jeep. After walking around and pulling on them I pulled off two more. Apparently when they put my new tires on they broke some lug nut caps. I don't blame them, I'd use an impact too.

After doing some searching I am not at all the only one to have this problem. I'm sure if I whined enough I could get them covered under warranty, but I don't see the point in getting them replaced when the same junk.

What brands of lug nuts would someone suggest to get?

I'm not interested in the kind that use a weird key, just something that wont break.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 05:54 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I just bought a full set from Bryan at 4wd. I went with the gorilla black chrome spline drive set which also includes the thin wall socket. Lots of recommendations going around this forum regarding the gorilla lugs
Old 09-27-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can often buy solid lug nuts from any rim/tire store.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Noxian
You can often buy solid lug nuts from any rim/tire store.
I'm sure, Just disappointing. Those caps are crap, I've broken two on my truck already
Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I lost 1 when fixing a flat a few months ago, 2 more when I changed my tires a few weeks ago, then 5 more when I had them rebalanced.

I'll be putting the splined Gorilla ones on before too much longer: http://www.quadratec.com/products/92806_900X_A_PG.htm
Old 09-27-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Wartoy
I'm sure, Just disappointing. Those caps are crap, I've broken two on my truck already
In my experience they only go bad after ALOT of use, or being over torqued,

Just be glad you got them off, I had to spend a hour trying to get one that was badly stripped off my friends tj before we could start his lift, tried extractor sockets, couldn't use a torch since he had factory Rubicon Moab rims, had to settle on using a air chisel and a lot of patience.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone see an issue when it comes to replacing them to take them off one at a time and replacing them rather than jack up the vehicle and take all of them off?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by husker_fan
Anyone see an issue when it comes to replacing them to take them off one at a time and replacing them rather than jack up the vehicle and take all of them off?
Absolutely fine. Your wheel should stay properly in place with just one tightened lug nut. One at a time will be no prob.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Yup. Some jackass over torqued mine. Got a flat and tried to remove the lug nuts. Well I ended up getting the caps repeatedly stuck in the 4way. Needless to say I have 4 lugs with no caps. I am going to eventually get new locking nuts anyway. But boy was a pissed!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

First mod done to the Jeep. Take it from the dealer to Discount Tire and order new tires. Have them replace stock lug nuts with solid lugs nuts while discussing tires.

Quick Reply: broken lug nut caps, unbelievable