Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Broken water pump bolt

Old 01-20-2019, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken water pump bolt

So I was replacing the water pump on my 08 JKU when the bolt head snapped off. Ive soaked it w pb blaster and tried using some vice grips to try and loosen it with no luck. Any suggestions?

Water pump bolt snapped
Old 01-20-2019, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A. Favela
So I was replacing the water pump on my 08 JKU when the bolt head snapped off. Ive soaked it w pb blaster and tried using some vice grips to try and loosen it with no luck. Any suggestions?

Water pump bolt snapped
So, I tried multiple things with success. I ground a notch into the protruding bolt....hammered a 3/16 socket onto it, heated it w a butane torch and I was able to ratchet it out.....I was about to lose it...time for some🍻
Old 01-20-2019, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Yep, heat is your friend with aluminum parts and steel bolts -- Aluminum expands about twice as much as steel when heated, so it tends to loosen.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm curious as to what type of torch works for this. I have one of the standard hand held propane torches, Would that work or would I need something that generates more heat?

Quick Reply: Broken water pump bolt