Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C Blower Motor Not Working

Old 07-11-2016, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Blower Motor Not Working

My HVAC blower motor completely stopped working on my 2008 JK X. This begin a couple of weeks ago out of the blue. I've been trying to repair this for the past week. With help from this forum I've replaced the blower motor, resistor, and relay, but the motor still does not operate.

Below is a list of things I've tried:

- I've ran 12V directly to the blower motor and the motor runs.

- I've confirmed with a voltmeter that the blower motor receives 12V from the plug when the fan switch is on. When the fan switch is off the plug yields zero volts. (Puzzling tho that the voltage does not change at the plug whether the switch setting is on low or high.)

- I have reset the system by disconnecting the battery for ten minutes.

- I have wiggled every wire I can think of with the system on at the time.

- At one point I had replaced the blower motor but not the relay or resistor. I went to the auto parts store. They handed me a new relay. I plugged it in and turned the key. The blower worked in all settings. I thought it was repaired so I went back in the store and paid for the relay. I went back out to the car and the blower has not worked since. That's when I ordered a new resistor and replaced it.

Any ideas? How do I check the blower switch?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Where in the vehicle did you find the HVAC blower motor relay? (I seem to be drawing a blank on it.)
Old 07-11-2016, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

I believe it's relay K9 in the relay/fuse box under the hood.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Cain1970
I believe it's relay K9 in the relay/fuse box under the hood.
That's the relay for a rear blower, if your JK has one. It has no effect on the front blower.

As far as I can tell, there is no relay for the front blower. It's controlled electronically through the TIPM and the A/C control panel's circuit board.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-11-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

OK - I appreciate the input. My Jeep does not have a rear blower. I'm wondering now: Does relay K9 control anything else besides a rear blower?
Old 07-11-2016, 10:31 AM
JK Jedi Master

OK - I appreciate the input. My Jeep does not have a rear blower. I'm wondering now: Does relay K9 control anything else besides a rear blower?
Not that I can see in the TIPM.
K9's socket has two pins that connect directly to the battery bus. It has one pin that would send power to fuse J15 for the rear blower. There is no pin in the socket that would control the relay coil. Therefore, it's safe to say relay K9 controls nothing else. It's a sleeping dog, of sorts.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

OK - it's good to know that I replaced a relay that does nothing in my jeep.

I've read additional threads regarding similar issues with the blower motor. They point to problems with the climate control array.

Any hints on how I can determine if the climate control array in my jeep is bad before I order a replacement?
Old 07-12-2016, 04:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Any hints on how I can determine if the climate control array in my jeep is bad before I order a replacement?
The dealer's scan tool can track requests over the CAN bus, and the resultant actions. Unfortunately, they charge quite a lot to look at such things.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK - it's good to know that I replaced a relay that does nothing in my jeep.

I've read additional threads regarding similar issues with the blower motor. They point to problems with the climate control array.

Still have the same problem with my 2012 JK. It's not the blower motor, blower motor resistor, or climate control module...all have been tested and or replaced. One tech advises that it could be a pinched wire because when he was troubleshooting the control module he noticed some shady wiring and tapping back there. This is odd because I bought the vehicle new and he was the first guy to ever remove the dash. He showed it to me...it was pretty sketchy looking. They spent 3+ hours trying to solve the issue. They couldn't and didn't charge me a dime. I don't think I'm going to get the same from the dealer. But now my only option is to take it to the dealer and hope its not a TIPM replacement...that will cost a lot.
The following users liked this post:
JeepinSC (10-25-2022)
Old 09-06-2019, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Late to the game

Hey guys I see I'm a couple years late on this but I had the same issue and determined it to be the fan speed switch.

If you take the center dash cover off, you can access the plug to the blower motor speed switch. It will have 4 wires running to it. 3 are blue with a color stripe. I believe those are the different speeds of the blower. The 4th wire is black and white. That is your power in. I know there is a way to test for congruence and current and blah blah blah. My multimeter was dead and this is Florida in the summer. Anyway I McGuyvered it with a paperclip and pliers. Any wire will do the trick. Just touch one end to the black and white connecter receptacle and the other end to any of the blue wires. The only thing you are bypassing by doing this is the switch. If the blower kicks on, the problem is the switch.

I pried the back off of my switch and found it pretty gooped yp inside on the contacts. Cleeaned it all realy good with a wire brush, put it back together and it kicked right on.

Hope this helps
The following 2 users liked this post by Spoonduke714:
JeepinSC (10-25-2022), Jshussey (07-19-2021)

Quick Reply: A/C Blower Motor Not Working