Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C compressor clutch relay label-location?

Old 02-27-2019, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor clutch relay label-location?

I have a 2009 JK 4 dr Rubicon. The ac compressor clutch is activating even though the in cab ac switch is not pushed. I think maybe the relay is stuck but I can't find any reference as to where the relay is located or marked. For that matter I could not even find a fuse for just the compressor clutch. I had to disconnect the connector at the compressor in order to stop the clutch from engaging.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:41 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Is your HVAC mode dial in any of the windshield defrost positions? The clutch will be activated in any of those positions even if the AC button has not been pushed and the AC light is not on.

The clutch control is a combination of outputs from the powertrain control module and the TIPM. The "relay" is likely a solid state chip on one of the circuit boards inside the TIPM.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-27-2019 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cnyncrpr (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You for the info. I finally found the jeep wiring diagram showing the signal passing thru your stated path. Too bad they couldn't keep it simple and just use a relay! I will recheck the setting I had the controls on to confirm if that was the cause. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor clutch relay label-location?