Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can breather hose caps go bad??

Old 06-22-2008, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can breather hose caps go bad??

front axle breather tube is spittin' fluid. The cap looks fine to me but not sure what could go wrong with it.

When I did my last fluid change, I put in the right amount and did a good job getting the old out so I am sure it's not too much fluid.

If the cap is bad, any where else to get one besides the dealership?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamH
front axle breather tube is spittin' fluid. The cap looks fine to me but not sure what could go wrong with it.

When I did my last fluid change, I put in the right amount and did a good job getting the old out so I am sure it's not too much fluid.

Define "right amount".
How long from fluid change to spitting fluid?
Check if the front differential is getting hot around the area where the pinion bearings are.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By right amount, how much do you mean? If you filled it to bottom of fill hole its to much. Any how you had to over fill it, if its overfilled it comes out the breather specially when it heats up. Nothing wrong with the cap
Old 06-22-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine did the same thing and it's brand new. It happened after a long highway drive. I think it had too much fluid in it, but I am not sure. It has not done it since.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SB08JK
Mine did the same thing and it's brand new. It happened after a long highway drive. I think it had too much fluid in it, but I am not sure. It has not done it since.
Yeah they have been known to overfill em at the factory, the fill them off the jeep so some just gets a little happy with the squirt gun lol
Old 06-22-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

Adam here is link to the "right" amount

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...le+leak&page=2
Old 06-23-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
Adam here is link to the "right" amount

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...le+leak&page=2
Yep, that's what I followed since you can't go by the fill plug (aftermarket covers). I've changed diff fluid for years and never had a problem until now.

I don't drive my Jeep much so it was a little while before it happened but it was after a long highway drive. my deal is that it has done it the past 4 times I had a long drive. judging by the amount that is coming out, there's no way I put THAT much extra in it. Since I have the Solids with a higher fill hole, it's not like I can check and see how much is left in there.

I know a breather valve is a one-way valve. I was wondering if someway somehow that "one way" action could hang up in the open position. The actual cap to the valve is very loose, as if it could break off at any second.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

well as far as I know the only way oil will come out is if its overfilled or gets water in it which its then overfilled lol.

you can order new breather caps here is link to see if that helps. How were you measuring to make sure u put in right amount? I use a pump that goes on the bottle, makes it so easy, dont have to TRY to get that damn bottle to pour into the hole lol

moparpartsamerica.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214583&cha pter=&Sectionids=0,2788&groupid=6487&subgroupid=23 00&componentid=2868&make=17&model=Wrangler&year=20 08&graphicID=WJ07640&callout=20&catalogid=2&displa yCatalogid=0
Old 06-24-2008, 01:14 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Roxster
I don't believe the breather cap is a valve at all. It should allow the diff (or whatever) to accommodate changes in air pressure that result from heating and cooling, or in other words, breath. At times there is positive pressure inside the case, and at other times a vacuum.
Would I be wrong in my belief it is a normally open valve that closes when under water?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I've changed diff fluid for years ...I know a breather valve is a one-way valve...

Originally Posted by Roxster
I don't believe the breather cap is a valve at all. It should allow the diff (or whatever) to accommodate changes in air pressure that result from heating and cooling, or in other words, breath. At times there is positive pressure inside the case, and at other times a vacuum.
Roxster is correct. I don't believe the cap is the problem in this case.

Quick Reply: Can breather hose caps go bad??