Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can I remove TPMS and just put normal valve stems on factory wheels?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BaltChief
This is from April 2005....maybe things have changed, or maybe it varies state to state....but in MD no way can you sell or trade it in without them. The fine is $500 if you try.
Yup - "State's Rights" in action. Most places here in AZ asked if I wanted to use my old ones or "just leave them out". Same story from several "reputable" tire dealers, including Discount, Big-O, and some larger local shops. Costco was the only place that was hard over. They wouldn't even consider putting on a tire larger than what's already mounted, so they have other things driving their decisions.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BaltChief
You will need them to pqass inspections and to sell or trade it in. The fine in MD anyhow, is $500.
WOW,did not know that.Thanks,Tom
Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

I'll take them if you want to make space in your shop
Old 06-06-2010, 05:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good old thread. thanks. I just broke the tip off my valve stem. still holds air but needs attention.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

If I wasn't selling the rubi rims and tires, I would sell mine. Jeep doesn't have tpms anyway.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is there anything "special" about the valve stem caps that come with the TPMS? I know you're not supposed to use metal aftermarket caps (except aluminum) because of corrosion, but what about just plain old plastic caps? I lost two caps at a place that changed my oil. The TPMS light would not go out even though the PSI was normal in all tires. I stopped by the dealer to get a few more caps and was shocked (so was the parts guy) that the price was $43 (only sold in packs of 5). He said it was probably because the cap is part of the antenna for the sensor. Once I put the new caps on, the TPMS light did finally go away. I've searched online and can't find anything stating that the cap is special in any way. I've had good experiences with the parts dept at this dealer and I know he was just quoting the price in the computer - just wondering why the caps cost so much.

Does anyone else use basic plastic caps with TPMS?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thumper616
Is there anything "special" about the valve stem caps that come with the TPMS? I know you're not supposed to use metal aftermarket caps (except aluminum) because of corrosion, but what about just plain old plastic caps? I lost two caps at a place that changed my oil. The TPMS light would not go out even though the PSI was normal in all tires. I stopped by the dealer to get a few more caps and was shocked (so was the parts guy) that the price was $43 (only sold in packs of 5). He said it was probably because the cap is part of the antenna for the sensor. Once I put the new caps on, the TPMS light did finally go away. I've searched online and can't find anything stating that the cap is special in any way. I've had good experiences with the parts dept at this dealer and I know he was just quoting the price in the computer - just wondering why the caps cost so much.

Does anyone else use basic plastic caps with TPMS?
Cap has nothing to do with the light. I've changed mine to a couple different styles. Make sure the pressure is about 37psi (verify with another, not 'cheapo' gauge). Otherwise the light will be on.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not disagreeing with you - but then why do you think Chrysler/Mopar would sell a pack of 5 caps for $43. I know that parts are generally high from the dealer, but that's like $9 per cap.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

sorry got to bring this topic up from the dead.

I upgraded my tires and wheels and was un aware of these TPMS.
Well after finding out I had them removed from the original tires and want to reuse them on my new ones. Dealership wants 70 dollars EACH TPMS and have to buy them in kit and cant just get the valve to reattach it. Local tire shops say that you can buy just the valve as a kit to reattach it to the TPMS.
The problem is no one has a 2010 catalog and the 2009 TPMS is different so I need to find out the part number for my 2010. Does anyone have any experience in this sorta thing that can help me out with this problem? 400 dollars for new ones and the stupid warning light is driving me crazy!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

If the new tires are already on I wouldn't spend the money to get them put back on. I would say this is an excuse to buy a programmer.

Quick Reply: Can I remove TPMS and just put normal valve stems on factory wheels?